You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Individual Time Machine Backups in macOS Ventura

I was wondering how to safely delete Time Machine backups?

1) Standard format backups on an external drive:

a) Are deletion options available from within the Time Machine app itself safe to use?

b) Is it safe to delete backups via the Finder? I am hoping that the Finder is smart enough to manage the Time Machine "hard links."

2) Sparsebundle backups on a network drive:

a) My impression is that you can't delete anything from within the Time Machine app. Is this correct?

b) Is it safe to open a sparsebundle via the DiskImageMounter and then delete a backup via the Finder?

I don't think I will often need this capability, but if a computer has some unnecessary junk for even a brief period of time, it's quite possible the Time Machine backup of this computer will be unnecessarily large forever.

Thanks,

David

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 19, 2023 1:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 1:46 PM

Are deletion options available from within the Time Machine app itself safe to use?

Unless you are running very old operating system on a Mac, this option has not been available within the Time Machine application for a long time. Reason.....high probability of corruption of the entire backup file.

Is it safe to delete backups via the Finder? I am hoping that the Finder is smart enough to manage the Time Machine "hard links."

Not in my opinion, but it does work for some users and not others. So, there are no guarantees here. For what it's worth, Apple does not support this in any documentation that I've ever been able to find. The "genius" types at the Apple Store here tell me simply......."Don't do this."

My impression is that you can't delete anything from within the Time Machine app. Is this correct?

Correct, unless you are using a Mac with a very old operating system. Even then, there are risks. I've lost entire backup files in the past trying to do delete old backup files.

Is it safe to open a sparsebundle via the DiskImageMounter and then delete a backup via the Finder?

Not in my opinion. Again, this is not supported by Apple, so there are no guarantees.

Your best.....and safest bet, no matter whether you are using a Time Capsule or external drive.....Keep a copy of the old backups around for a few months if you think you might need to go back and pick up a file.

Connect a USB drive to the USB port on the Time Capsule and use the Archive function in AirPort Utility to copy everything on the Time Capsule drive over to the USB drive. Then, erase the Time Capsule drive using AirPort Utility and start over again with a new complete backup and move forward.

Keep the old external drive around for safe keeping. Add a new external drive and start a new complete backup to the drive and move forward.

After a few months, you will probably not need the old backups and you can erase the drives and use them as spares, or set up backups using Carbon Copy Cloner for a dual backup strategy.

Bottom line.....it is best to leave the existing backup file(s) alone and not try to modify them in any way, unless you have another copy of the backups handy......just in case.

It might be another discussion, but I've never been able to figure out why users want to keep backups going back many months, even years in time when they will never need them.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 19, 2023 1:46 PM in response to DavidGoldsmith

Are deletion options available from within the Time Machine app itself safe to use?

Unless you are running very old operating system on a Mac, this option has not been available within the Time Machine application for a long time. Reason.....high probability of corruption of the entire backup file.

Is it safe to delete backups via the Finder? I am hoping that the Finder is smart enough to manage the Time Machine "hard links."

Not in my opinion, but it does work for some users and not others. So, there are no guarantees here. For what it's worth, Apple does not support this in any documentation that I've ever been able to find. The "genius" types at the Apple Store here tell me simply......."Don't do this."

My impression is that you can't delete anything from within the Time Machine app. Is this correct?

Correct, unless you are using a Mac with a very old operating system. Even then, there are risks. I've lost entire backup files in the past trying to do delete old backup files.

Is it safe to open a sparsebundle via the DiskImageMounter and then delete a backup via the Finder?

Not in my opinion. Again, this is not supported by Apple, so there are no guarantees.

Your best.....and safest bet, no matter whether you are using a Time Capsule or external drive.....Keep a copy of the old backups around for a few months if you think you might need to go back and pick up a file.

Connect a USB drive to the USB port on the Time Capsule and use the Archive function in AirPort Utility to copy everything on the Time Capsule drive over to the USB drive. Then, erase the Time Capsule drive using AirPort Utility and start over again with a new complete backup and move forward.

Keep the old external drive around for safe keeping. Add a new external drive and start a new complete backup to the drive and move forward.

After a few months, you will probably not need the old backups and you can erase the drives and use them as spares, or set up backups using Carbon Copy Cloner for a dual backup strategy.

Bottom line.....it is best to leave the existing backup file(s) alone and not try to modify them in any way, unless you have another copy of the backups handy......just in case.

It might be another discussion, but I've never been able to figure out why users want to keep backups going back many months, even years in time when they will never need them.

May 28, 2023 7:47 AM in response to ccall48

Well, Apple does say that Time Machine will delete old backups.

And this does work.....IF.....the new backup is a small or incremental type backup. BUT.....if the new backup is larger than normal, as might be the case after an update or a significant amount of new photos, music, video, etc has been added to the Mac, then Time Machine cannot delete enough old files to make room for the new larger than normal backup.

So, you might want to send feedback to Apple regarding this.

Feedback - Time MachineAppleApple › feedback › timemachine

Deleting Individual Time Machine Backups in macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.