You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no WiFi after update to iOS 16.4.1

After updating to iOS 16.4.1, my iPhone 12 mini has several issues.

1. No WiFi, non, no SSIDs will appear, nothing. There is no option to put in a password or reset a router or anything, because no SSID will appear. When I’m able to open the WiFi menu, there is an edit menu option. When selected, the next menu is blank. There is a title for known networks, but nothing under it. It’s as if the WiFi option has been disabled & banned in the background.
  2. When trying to get into the WiFi menu, it would highlight the WiFi menu line, but will not open that menu for several minute or at all. The menu would freeze, & I would need to hardclose & reopen Setting. After a few tries, I may be able to get into the WiFi menu. Later, I realized that this issue is the same for several other menu items (cellular, Bluetooth, privacy, etc.)
  3. At first, cellular was terrible & always in LTE. I could not access the menu due to the menu freeze issue. Eventually, I got into the cellular menu & found that the setting was changed from 5Gen to 4Gen (LTE). I was able to change this after finally getting into that menu.
  4. Some apps (Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc.) will not just open. They freeze or crash. They may open after a few attempt. After opening, they may not be operational, so they needed to be reopened.
  5. Sometimes… frequently, GPS will quit functioning in Waze, maybe for other things or everything. I notice it frequently while using Waze.

I have hard closed & reopened apps & the iPhone, turn off & on WiFi, turned on & off Airplane Mode. Changed a few settings recommended in various places. Nothing helps. Resetting network settings is not an option. I have several hundred networks saved due to work & cannot lose them. I need to find the exact problem setting & fix it.

iPhone 12

Posted on May 22, 2023 6:22 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 22, 2023 6:39 PM in response to DSYoungblood

DSYoungblood Said:

"no WiFi after update to iOS 16.4.1"

-------

Report this to Apple

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

May 23, 2023 4:55 PM in response to DSYoungblood

DSYoungblood Said:

"no WiFi after update to iOS 16.4.1: Some things that I forgot to include.

———-

Clear Space:

Seems settings are getting in the way, having been manipulated, somehow. So, clear space. Emptying the caches may rid of this. You clear what is called “System Data” (formerly called “Other”).

So, what to do...

Clear Space, Using my User Tips:

Jun 14, 2023 7:24 PM in response to TheLittles

I have been working on my MBP to make enough space to do a backup of my iPhone so that I can clear the ‘other’ stuff. However, earlier today, I noticed doing app updates wasn’t asking for permissions to install over cell tower. Then, I noticed the Wi-Fi icon in the top right corner. So I checked a few things. It seems that there’s no more glitching in messages & other apps, and Wi-Fi is picking up routers, etc. The only thing that I can think of that was done differently was that I allowed a new iMac to use my Apple ID. How could that have cleared the glitches?

May 23, 2023 3:34 PM in response to DSYoungblood

Some things that I forgot to include.

1. After the update, when a call came in, I might be able to answer it, but not by AirPod Pro 2 command. If I answered by iPhone 12, the AppleWatch8 keeps ringing. Answering by AppleWatch doesn’t seem to be working correctly. I don’t remember how this reacted to outgoing calls. I was having issues there, also.
  2. For the first couple of days, I could not get the call screen to appear after answering. I could see the green phone icon in the top left corner. However, nothing happened when I tapped it.
  3. Sometimes, when listening to voicemail, the sound would not go to speaker even after the speaker icon turned blue.
  4. I still have issues with text msgs. When one comes in, it usually cannot be opened directly. I try opening the messages app a few times until it doesn’t crash, actually opens, doesn’t freeze on the menu item for that sender, & actually lets me into those messages. Even then, it may not allow me to reply or just freeze & crash or need to be hard closed & reopened, again.

May 25, 2023 4:29 PM in response to TheLittles

Okay. I was going to do that. Backing it up needed to have been accomplished, anyway. However, I need to clear lots of space on my MBP to do it, which is taking lots of work.

In the meantime, I allowed iTunes to update iPhone to 16.5, but that couldn’t happen due to the lack of space for backup. Eventually, I decided to just do the update through cellular to 16.5 hoping that would fix some settings or something. After the update, I got excited, because the Wi-Fi icon was showing in the top right corner of the Welcome screen. However, when I tried to unlock it, the next screen was all white with the Wi-Fi & other symbols at the top. It would, eventually return to the Welcome screen & repeat issue. I rebooted iPhone & was able to get in to configure after update. After getting in, the Wi-Fi symbol was gone & I have the same problems with menu items freezing & needing to close & reopen things (msgs., etc.) a few times to get them to work.

During this process, I deleted some PodCasts that were taking up several GBs. Previously, I had ~45GBs free on this 256GB iPhone. Now, I have ~95GBs free.

So, I am wondering what’s the purpose of clearing the “other” category. If it’s just to clear space, I should have plenty.

May 25, 2023 5:01 PM in response to DSYoungblood

DSYoungblood Said:

[…]I am wondering what’s the purpose of clearing the “other” category. If it’s just to clear space, I should have plenty.

———-

The Purpose of Clearing “Other”:

The purpose is to clear space.

Other” (called “System Data” in newer iOS versions) is just junk files that are unneeded and compile over time. IlThis space it consumes can be in the GBs or it can be nothing. So, perform it to see how much you can clean.

no WiFi after update to iOS 16.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.