You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad is locked

Apple is one of my favorite products, but after logging into someone else's id account on my ipad, the other party maliciously turned on the lost mode and asked me for money to unlock the activation lock. This is really bad. I bought that a long time ago I canâ t find the box and invoice, and the official needs a lot of evidence to remove the off. This is really troublesome. I need you to help me off this device and I will provide you with evidenc

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 22, 2023 10:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 3:13 AM

First, never allow anyone that you don’t explicitly trust any access to your iPad (or iPhone). Be aware that aside from issues such as you have experienced, if you allow someone to sign-in to a different AppleID account with the device, you cannot change the signed-in user for 90-days.

As for your problem, the iPad is Activation Locked. As you may already be aware, simply restoring your iPad will not remove an activation lock.

Here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be satisfied:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock – Apple Support

As you will discover, unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, or unless you can secure the cooperation of the previous owner, you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. Without documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple won’t assist - and nobody here will be able to help you.

If you have the necessary documentation, Apple have introduced a portal though which you may be able to request release of an Activation Lock:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support & start an Activation Lock support request.

Unfortunately, in your situation, you won’t be able to use the online Activation Lock removal processes - as the Activation Lock applies to someone else’s AppleID Account.

Your only hope of having the Activation Lock removed is to provide documentation that demonstrates, to Apple’s sole satisfaction, that you are the owner. For obvious reasons, Apple have very high standards of proof, without which they will decline to assist. Key to proving ownership will be the original sales invoice - that clearly shows the serial number or IMEI of the device. Without this document, your chance of successfully proving ownership will be very slim.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2023 3:13 AM in response to willow207

First, never allow anyone that you don’t explicitly trust any access to your iPad (or iPhone). Be aware that aside from issues such as you have experienced, if you allow someone to sign-in to a different AppleID account with the device, you cannot change the signed-in user for 90-days.

As for your problem, the iPad is Activation Locked. As you may already be aware, simply restoring your iPad will not remove an activation lock.

Here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be satisfied:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock – Apple Support

As you will discover, unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, or unless you can secure the cooperation of the previous owner, you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. Without documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple won’t assist - and nobody here will be able to help you.

If you have the necessary documentation, Apple have introduced a portal though which you may be able to request release of an Activation Lock:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support & start an Activation Lock support request.

Unfortunately, in your situation, you won’t be able to use the online Activation Lock removal processes - as the Activation Lock applies to someone else’s AppleID Account.

Your only hope of having the Activation Lock removed is to provide documentation that demonstrates, to Apple’s sole satisfaction, that you are the owner. For obvious reasons, Apple have very high standards of proof, without which they will decline to assist. Key to proving ownership will be the original sales invoice - that clearly shows the serial number or IMEI of the device. Without this document, your chance of successfully proving ownership will be very slim.

iPad is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.