You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 2 E Disk Drive Not Working

Hi everyone here:

I am not sure this is something anyone here can answer for me. I recently bought an Apple 2 E from an yard sale. The system works great however after about 4 days of using it the system seemed to stop reading floppy disks. The drive seemed to work one moment and the next it just starts up and makes noise like the drive is spinning all the time even when there is no disk in the drive. I tried removing the disk drive card in the system and putting it in another jack on the main system board but that did not seem to help. After returning it to the original jack it seemed does the same thing. I still have the Apple 2E and I would like to be able to read the disks that came with it and be able to use the book that teaches me how to program on it and save what I do on disk. But with out a working drive it makes it hard to use the entire system.

Perhaps I should take the system to my local Apple store for there advice.

Thanks for any advice anyone has

Posted on May 23, 2023 3:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 6:49 PM

Troubleshooting an Apple IIe disk drive issue can involve several steps:

1. **Check Connections:** Ensure all cables and connections are secure. Make sure the drive is properly connected to the computer.

2. **Clean the Drive:** Dust and dirt can accumulate over time, affecting the drive's performance. Carefully clean the drive's heads and components with a soft, lint-free cloth.

3. **Try Different Disks:** Sometimes, the issue might be with the disks themselves. Try using different disks to see if the problem persists.

4. **Disk Alignment:** If the drive heads are misaligned, you might need to adjust them. However, this requires some technical expertise. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, consider seeking help from a professional.

5. **Replace Drive Belts:** If the drive is not spinning or reading the disks properly, it might be due to worn-out drive belts. Replacing them can help restore functionality.

6. **Test on Another Computer:** If possible, try the disk drive on another Apple IIe computer to determine if the problem is with the drive or the computer itself.

7. **Check for Power Issues:** Make sure the drive is receiving power. If it's not, there might be a power supply issue.

8. **Recap Capacitors:** Over time, capacitors in older electronics can deteriorate, causing various issues. Replacing or "recapping" capacitors might help if the problem is related to power or stability.

9. **Seek Professional Help:** If you're not comfortable with hardware repairs, consider reaching out to someone with experience in repairing vintage computers or electronics.

Remember that the Apple IIe is a vintage computer, and finding replacement parts or experienced technicians might be a bit challenging. If the issue is beyond your expertise, you might consider contacting a vintage computer enthusiasts' forum or group for guidance.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2023 6:49 PM in response to James Panza

Troubleshooting an Apple IIe disk drive issue can involve several steps:

1. **Check Connections:** Ensure all cables and connections are secure. Make sure the drive is properly connected to the computer.

2. **Clean the Drive:** Dust and dirt can accumulate over time, affecting the drive's performance. Carefully clean the drive's heads and components with a soft, lint-free cloth.

3. **Try Different Disks:** Sometimes, the issue might be with the disks themselves. Try using different disks to see if the problem persists.

4. **Disk Alignment:** If the drive heads are misaligned, you might need to adjust them. However, this requires some technical expertise. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, consider seeking help from a professional.

5. **Replace Drive Belts:** If the drive is not spinning or reading the disks properly, it might be due to worn-out drive belts. Replacing them can help restore functionality.

6. **Test on Another Computer:** If possible, try the disk drive on another Apple IIe computer to determine if the problem is with the drive or the computer itself.

7. **Check for Power Issues:** Make sure the drive is receiving power. If it's not, there might be a power supply issue.

8. **Recap Capacitors:** Over time, capacitors in older electronics can deteriorate, causing various issues. Replacing or "recapping" capacitors might help if the problem is related to power or stability.

9. **Seek Professional Help:** If you're not comfortable with hardware repairs, consider reaching out to someone with experience in repairing vintage computers or electronics.

Remember that the Apple IIe is a vintage computer, and finding replacement parts or experienced technicians might be a bit challenging. If the issue is beyond your expertise, you might consider contacting a vintage computer enthusiasts' forum or group for guidance.

Nov 9, 2023 8:29 PM in response to HiyaThereLovely

Hello thanks for your response. I have actually opened the drive up while it was connected to the Apple IIe. It seems like the drive keeps spinning even when there is no disk in it. When I originally got the computer which was from a garage sale the drive did not spin when no disk was in it. It waited till I put a disc in it and than either entered a Apple Basic code or put the front door of the drive down to read the disk. Now it keeps spinning like it is trying to read the disc even when there is no disc in the drive. I really have not looked in to this any farther lately due to being busy with work and what not but at some point I would like to get the drive working so I can play with the Apple 2E.

Apple 2 E Disk Drive Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.