You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with Password Auto Fill on my iPhone

Trouble with Password Auto Fill on my iPhone 13 IOS 16.4.

When I go to particular websites (only a few particular websites) I’m unable to use the autofill username/password log in like I normally do. I recently noticed on these sites when the curser is in the username box the option below doesn’t say it’s normal message which is “Sign in with your saved password, (Username)” which is normally highlighted in blue, like a link. Instead on the websites that give me trouble it simply says “For this website use (Username)” not in blue but in regular lettering. However when I click on that it ends up autofilling it with my password and puts it into the username space. Then the curser jumps down to the password space with the same message and enters in the password again. AKA No Username plus I can never tell it’s even doing that since both are blocked out with *** or ••• (not showing me the letters). I almost lock myself out for incorrect credentials 3 times in a row.

In other words, there’s no way for me to autofill both my username and password in their correct spots to log me in like I’m able to do on almost every other site or app I have. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is this an issue with my password auto fill or password keychain? Or is this because these particular websites have better security or something?

I should add that out of the few sites I have this issue on 2 are for my Pension and another is for my 401K.

If it’s a matter of those websites being more secure I kind of understand but at the same time why am I easily able to use the auto fill password to log into my IRS & DMV website accounts or the 4 different Bank apps and sites I have? It’s not the biggest deal in the world because I have my usernames for those sites saved in another folder on my phone. It’s just annoying since I never realize what’s going on since I can’t see the letters. I’d just like to know the reasoning behind this.

-Any explanation or thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, and sorry for writing so much trying to explain this issue.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on May 24, 2023 2:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2024 7:46 AM

Im having the same issue. I noticed this a few weeks ago and it’s frustrating because I need to go back and look for the password to add it manually. What’s the whole point to have it in autofill if we still need to do it manually. If someone was able to figure this out, please let us know 🥺

7 replies

May 25, 2023 3:27 PM in response to Antrandi1

Hello Antrandi1,

If your saved autofill passwords are not working for a specific website, try deleting it and recreating it.

1. Tap Settings, then select Passwords. In iOS 13 or earlier, select Passwords & Accounts, then tap Website & App Passwords.
2. Use Face ID or Touch ID when prompted, or enter your passcode.
3. To see a password or passkey, select a website or app. 
• To delete a saved password or passkey, tap Delete Password or Delete Passkey.

How to find saved passwords and passkeys on your iPhone

Once it's been deleted, go back to the website and manually enter your username and password. When you get the prompt asking if you'd like to store the username & password, save it again. Then once it's been saved test it out to see if the autofill is working on that website.

Cheers!

Trouble with Password Auto Fill on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.