You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pro Display XDR charges MacBook and other devices but no screen is being displayed

Hi,

I've been using my Apple Pro Display XDR for over 3+ years now. During these years I've had several issues and reported one of them to Apple, namely: My Macbook(s) are being charged, but no screen will be displayed, as in a totally black screen. The MacBooks don’t even recognise the screen in settings.

The first time I reported this to Apple, a NVRAM reset helped the issue. I've had to use this solution once a year, but now the screen isn't working anymore and NVRAM reset doesn't work. 

I’ve been testing this issue with a MBP (2019), MBP (M1) and MBP (M2) but SMC / NVRAM reset doesn’t work. Anyone got any tips?

I've read stories on this community people often think the screen is 'asleep' but can't be woken up. Are more people experiencing this issue?

Pro Display

Posted on May 26, 2023 12:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 2:08 AM

Eventually contacted Apple support and I was able to deliver the screen to a premium reseller (we have a lot of those in the Netherlands). The repair center was able to request a new screen and it got swapped.

Similar questions

15 replies

Aug 25, 2023 11:54 AM in response to rwzdoorn2

I have got the same problem as you did.

Ofc no Apple Care + because who would think that a 6,5K display that never moves from my desk would not work after 3,5 years.

I have tried everything possible, even my iPad is not mirroring the screen but charges though.

@rwzdoorn2: Was Apple being generous with you and swapped the Display after the warranty was over? I need to check next week with them, I am from Germany, a heavily spending Apple customer (just got the newest MBP for another 6K last week after spending 6K on the 2019 model) and hoping for their mercy. How did you get your Display swapped?

Thank you very much for your answer, this problem is completely ruining my day/weekend.

Sep 20, 2023 1:30 AM in response to smokerking92

Hey there, from Germany as well. My display stopped working yesterday. I put it to sleep while getting other stuff done.. and voilá, the last time I saw a life sign from it. Bought in Feb 2020.AppleCar+ expired feb 2023. I can connect a divice to it...it charges. But neither the Mac Pro nor the MacBook Pro can see the display. My last resort is the cable...I saw one post of a failure in that. But hopes are not high... fingers crossed, cable ordered yesterday. Support from apple is low, as no Care+ is active.

Sep 20, 2023 1:51 AM in response to sgeier

Be aware of Gravis and other repair center.

The Pro Display XDR can NOT be opened.

The only thing they can do is check the cables and stuff.

Even the Apple Store said they could not open the Display.

So your only chance is to go to the Apple Store in Hamburg. (schedule an appointment)

Check my videos in the macrumors thread, does the XDR pop up for 1 sec for you too?

Sep 20, 2023 2:04 AM in response to smokerking92

just saw your posts there...quite equal. Spend a lot since 2007 on Apple too. But no, my display doesn't even show up when repeating your steps. Good to know that the display cannot be opened. But maybe there software tools can give an insight what might be wrong...?Had good experience with comspot and their diagnose tool. yes, hamburg could be an option...little daytrip.

Sep 21, 2023 9:02 AM in response to smokerking92

Can't believe it. Recieved the new thunderbolt 4 cable today... as I was unpacking - hopes where not that high.... the display suddenly switched on. after 2,5 days !!! Numeros tryouts, test, different devices. So I didn't even need the new cable and for now everything is fine...maybe its an firmware glitch, going to "hibernation" and getting no signal to wake up. Had it once...

I will for sure not put into that mode again. I cross my own finger that it stays alive...

Apple Pro Display XDR charges MacBook and other devices but no screen is being displayed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.