You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I download iMovie 10.3.3 on Big Sur 11.7.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 27, 2023 12:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 5:52 AM

I own a MacBook Pro with BigSur 11.7.10

iMovie does no more work and I cannot find the version iMovie 10.3.3 on the Appstore.

What can I do ???

10 replies

May 27, 2023 8:47 AM in response to Kittyfied

You probably need to be running Monterey or Ventura to get iMovie 10.3.3.

In any event, you can try the following procedure to obtain the highest iMovie version that Big Sur 11.7 will run:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Nov 10, 2023 8:01 AM in response to nelda100

I'm often resistant to updates because I often lose pieces.

Also this time it happened because I moved to Monterey and iMovies no longer works and I have no way to download the version that run on it.

so now I'm in the middle of nowhere, without being able to use the old version because Monterey is too new and I can't download the new one from the apple store because Monterey is too old..

I can't understand why they don't make the old versions available too, It's so frustrating to mess with the updates every time.

the above suggestion didn't work for me.. nothing else? thanks

Nov 13, 2023 7:08 PM in response to onceagain63

FWIW I'm in the same problem. I updated a Mojave machine to Monterey (as far as it will go). I tried the above advice but it didn't work. I'm still looking. I might open a support ticket.

UPDATE: I got it to work. My Mac has software installed by two different Apple IDs. One Apple ID installed iMovie on a new M2 machine. The other Apple ID had installed iMovie on the Monterey machine. I switched user accounts to an account with the desired Apple ID. Then I completely deleted the current version of iMovie. From that user account when I found (tedious) the installed iMovie and clicked download it did offer me the older version.

Feb 9, 2024 11:17 AM in response to jfaughnan

I had the same issue with a new install / update from Catalina to Big Sur - iMovie 10.1 didn't open so I went to the app store, searched iMovie - clicked install - it shows a message that the current version is only compatible with OS 13.x.... BUT it says it will install the most recent version available for my OS. I hit install and it worked - installed 10.3.5.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.