You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prove new ownership of Macbook pro after being gifted

If a Macbook pro is gifted to someone else, how does the new owner prove their ownership of the device to Apple? The new owner has set a firmware password and forgotten the same. He needs to prove the ownership of the device to Apple store, to reset the password.

Posted on May 27, 2023 2:50 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 27, 2023 3:49 AM in response to kaz-k

@Kaz-k The owner may have followed all steps required to be done on the device.

What I am interested in is, how to prove to Apple that Owner A in whose name the invoice is originally in, has gifted the device to Owner B after using it for some time, and now Owner B is the new valid owner.

Is there any documentation that Owner A can give to Owner B which would be acceptable for Apple as a valid proof of the 'new' ownership?

May 27, 2023 4:25 AM in response to sjtuta

Personal transactions always have that problem regardless of what the item is. The more costly the item, the greater the "risk".

If an individual is a party to the sale, it's that person's responsibility to make certain he/she is not going to have future troubles by obtaining "proof" records. At least it's that way in my country.

When I make a personal sale, I create a billl-of-sale for the item AND provide a copy of my original proof of purchase. I'm just odd that way; I keep meticulous records to protect me.

May 27, 2023 7:17 AM in response to sjtuta

Remember the reason for this rule is to make sure it isn't stolen.

Provide the original bill of sale or equivalent from Apple or dealer to the original owner, which includes the serial number.

In addition (not in place of) Provide a hand-crafted bill of sale or statement that is equivalent from old owner to new owner. Serial number of the device is also required here as well.

with BOTH documents providing an unbroken chain of ownership by serial number traceable back to the original owner, you should not have a problem. You will have proved "not stolen".

Prove new ownership of Macbook pro after being gifted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.