You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files and Folders in Save Dialogues are sorted randomly

In MacOS 12 Monterey Files and Folders in Save Dialogues are sorted randomly. If I want to save a file in the Save dialogue using Column View, suddenly the files and folders are sorted randomly. I turned off "Arrange By" but there is no "Sort By" button. I can only sort by name if I use List View, which doesn't show me the entire folder structure.

I have seen others ask this question here but nobody has provided and answer. I have looked in Finder Preferences and System Preferences but I can't find the option to change it back to how it always used to be.

This makes things really difficult where there are many files and folders with similar names and I don't know if I'm going to either save the file in the wrong folder.

Opening files in Column View is even worse. I have to basically preview every file to know which one I'm seeing because all of the files are in random order.

Please help by explaining a fix for this. MacOS never used to work this way.

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 27, 2023 11:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 4:21 AM

Your screenshot shows the sort button to the right of the View button.

Similar questions

3 replies

Files and Folders in Save Dialogues are sorted randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.