You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are implications of just using iCloud for photos on iPhone but not on MacBook.

What are implications of just using iCloud for new photos on iPhone but not on MacBook or other devices like iPad? I don't want my photo library currently stored on my mac to be uploaded to the cloud. I want to use iCloud on my iPhone like I used My Photo Stream. My photo library size (143 GB in two different libraries) would exceed the current free iCloud storage limit. I currently download all photos from the my photo stream when I synch my phone to my Mac on a monthly basis. And I carefully curate my photos into albums in the photos app stored on my MacBook (M1). Would the current instructions being rolled out for the discontinued My Photo Stream (26 July 2023) change?

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on May 28, 2023 6:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 6:57 AM

You can have several Photos Libraries on your Mac. And only one library can sync with iCloud Photos. So you could have one large Photos Library with all your Photos, and a very small library to sync with iCloud Photos and transfer new photos between the iPhone and your Mac. That is what I am doing as well. I am keeping my iCloud Photos Library small enough to fit on all devices.

The library you are using with iCloud Photos needs to be enabled as the System Photos Library in the Photos > Settings > General, and then you can enable it as the iCloud Photos Library Photos > Settings > iCloud.

See: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Also: System Photo Library overview in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud – Apple Support (UK)

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 28, 2023 6:57 AM in response to robertafrombroomfield

You can have several Photos Libraries on your Mac. And only one library can sync with iCloud Photos. So you could have one large Photos Library with all your Photos, and a very small library to sync with iCloud Photos and transfer new photos between the iPhone and your Mac. That is what I am doing as well. I am keeping my iCloud Photos Library small enough to fit on all devices.

The library you are using with iCloud Photos needs to be enabled as the System Photos Library in the Photos > Settings > General, and then you can enable it as the iCloud Photos Library Photos > Settings > iCloud.

See: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Also: System Photo Library overview in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud – Apple Support (UK)

May 28, 2023 7:40 AM in response to léonie

I'm thinking of just not using iCloud at all for photos and just continuing to have good monthly synch and backup habits. Once I've done my synch and backup on 25 July, I'm tempted to just let 26 July come and go and see what happens. I don't care if my photos don't automatically show on my mac or other devices. I use my iPhone camera/photos app like a standalone camera. Kind of like the old days with apple devices. . . (I don't want to depend on the cloud and don't want to pay for cloud storage). If I create a separate library as you suggest, then when I want to synch select albums (from other libraries) from my mac to my phone, it will be too confusing. Great answer and links. Appreciate your feedback.

May 28, 2023 12:01 PM in response to léonie

Thank you! Perfect. That's what I wanted to know. And your link "Three Good Reasons . . . and when not to use it" further convinces me that my plan (to ignore iCloud for my photos) is the approach that best fits my needs. I'm sure Apple wants us all to use the cloud storage for $$ which is their right. Wish they provided your link "Three Good Reasons" link in the original notice . . . Thanks again.

What are implications of just using iCloud for photos on iPhone but not on MacBook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.