You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mystery device attempting to connect to iPad Bluetooth

As the subject line indicates, an unknown device called IMS-TOR-BRMA which is unknown to me is attempting to connect via Bluetooth. What is this, how did it get there and what should I do? Turning Bluetooth on and off doesn’t work.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 31, 2023 1:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 3:17 AM

Thank you for the screenshot.

Bluetooth devices that you see listed below “Other Devices” are not attempting to connect to your iPad. These are Bluetooth devices that are within about 10m (30’) of your iPad that are “discoverable”. As for precisely what the devices are may be is not obvious - and they likely belong to someone else.

Unless you see a pairing request, to which you must positively respond to accept the pairing request if desired, no connection attempt to your iPad is being made. Devices that have been successfully paired with your iPad are listed under “My Devices”.

Whenever you access Bluetooth settings, your iPad will switch its Bluetooth radio to “discovery mode”. The spinning pinwheel indicates that the iPad is searching for devices that can be “discovered”.

Discovery mode will cease as soon as you exit Bluetooth settings. You cannot exit discovery mode (and the spinning pinwheel) while Bluetooth settings are open.

Think of this to be similar to the light in your refrigerator. Whenever the door is open (analogous to your opening Bluetooth settings), the refrigerator light is on (the pinwheel will spin). When you close the door, the light switches off - but you can’t see the refrigerator light is off because the door is closed 🙂

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 31, 2023 3:17 AM in response to 20kpryyz

Thank you for the screenshot.

Bluetooth devices that you see listed below “Other Devices” are not attempting to connect to your iPad. These are Bluetooth devices that are within about 10m (30’) of your iPad that are “discoverable”. As for precisely what the devices are may be is not obvious - and they likely belong to someone else.

Unless you see a pairing request, to which you must positively respond to accept the pairing request if desired, no connection attempt to your iPad is being made. Devices that have been successfully paired with your iPad are listed under “My Devices”.

Whenever you access Bluetooth settings, your iPad will switch its Bluetooth radio to “discovery mode”. The spinning pinwheel indicates that the iPad is searching for devices that can be “discovered”.

Discovery mode will cease as soon as you exit Bluetooth settings. You cannot exit discovery mode (and the spinning pinwheel) while Bluetooth settings are open.

Think of this to be similar to the light in your refrigerator. Whenever the door is open (analogous to your opening Bluetooth settings), the refrigerator light is on (the pinwheel will spin). When you close the door, the light switches off - but you can’t see the refrigerator light is off because the door is closed 🙂

May 31, 2023 3:57 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks. I live in a rural setting with the nearest device not otherwise known to this household quite a distance away. It’s possible that another device in the household is now somehow newly recognising my iPad. If you’re telling me that it’s within my control to accept this device or not and that as long as I don’t accept Pairing I have nothing to worry about, then I appreciate your quick response and thanks for putting my mind at ease.

May 31, 2023 4:08 AM in response to 20kpryyz

As described, given your rural setting, whatever the device is will be within about 10m (30’) of your iPad.

Domestic “smart” appliances are often overlooked - such as ovens, dishwashers, laundry appliances - all of which may have built-in bluetooth capabilities. Some utility Smart meters (and associated monitors) may use Bluetooth or ZigBee radios. Other home smart devices, such as speakers and audio equipment may have Bluetooth capabilities. The list is long.

As outlined, you have complete control of what, if anything, you allow to pair with your iPad. Paired/connected devices can be individually deleted as needed; just tap the blue “i” icon associated with the device in your BlueTooth device list. Here you will find information about the paired device, and can “forget” (i.e., delete) the device connection.

Mystery device attempting to connect to iPad Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.