You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a computer company request my Apple ID? They claim the Maschine is now locked and want to charge me.

Can a computer rental company request my Apple ID? They claim the computer which was returned to them is now locked and want to charge me, but I‘m not to sure about it.

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 9:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 10:10 AM

Did they specify how it's locking the computer exactly? Is it expecting it for Activation Lock? Or just to log in to a user account?

You can try logging in to https://icloud.com and see if the computer in question appears in the Find My app there. If it does, you can remove it from Find My, and that should log it off from your account, the next time it is restored.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 1, 2023 10:10 AM in response to Des2570

Did they specify how it's locking the computer exactly? Is it expecting it for Activation Lock? Or just to log in to a user account?

You can try logging in to https://icloud.com and see if the computer in question appears in the Find My app there. If it does, you can remove it from Find My, and that should log it off from your account, the next time it is restored.

Jun 1, 2023 9:06 AM in response to Des2570

They can, but I wouldn't give it to them.

By entering your ID and password when you set it up for your use, the Mac is now locked to your account, making it useless to them. Hence the charge. And such a charge will be for the value of the Mac.

What I would do is go back to the company and release the Mac from your ID yourself so you don't have to give them your ID and password.

Can a computer company request my Apple ID? They claim the Maschine is now locked and want to charge me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.