You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the MacMini accept an external DVD player using a USB connection?

I have the DVD Player app up and showing; and an external DVD plugged in (which the paperwork states is compatible with Mac). It it is connected with the USB cord. The power light shows green when I hit it and the DVD is in. But on DVD Player (the app on MacMini), it shows no way to select the USB port or the external DVD player. I selected On My Mac and I checked the other folders that show up. What am I missing? Or will this not ever work?

Mac mini

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 9:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 10:45 PM

If you are using the Apple Super Drive cd/dvd player, make sure the device is plugged directly into the computer's USB port and not through a hub or dock.

In the DVD Player app, do you see in the Menu Bar the File menu > Open DVD Media... command?

That should open a context menu wherein you can navigate to the DVD in the drive and begin the playback.

Please see: DVD Player User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Also: Play a DVD or DVD movie file in DVD Player on Mac

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 4, 2023 10:45 PM in response to Troy_Deckert

If you are using the Apple Super Drive cd/dvd player, make sure the device is plugged directly into the computer's USB port and not through a hub or dock.

In the DVD Player app, do you see in the Menu Bar the File menu > Open DVD Media... command?

That should open a context menu wherein you can navigate to the DVD in the drive and begin the playback.

Please see: DVD Player User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Also: Play a DVD or DVD movie file in DVD Player on Mac

Does the MacMini accept an external DVD player using a USB connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.