You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura 13.4 broke Spotlight

Updated to 13.4 and now Spotlight only gives web results. I tried adding and removing folders in Spotlight as suggested by Apple.

I have also tried to rebuild Spotlight through the terminal, and the indexing process bar in Spotlight comes on for about 1 minute and then goes away, and that is obviously not enough time to index an entire hard drive.

Also, Spotlight has been getting progressively worse with each macOS release (search the forums).

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 4:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 1:35 PM

< Did you drag and drop the drive to be indexed in Spotlight > Privacy panel and forget to remove it from that <panel?

Did not forget. Also, indexing progress bar comes on for like 2 minutes, then stops, as I mentioned in my original post.

< Remember, only Chuck Norris can break Spotlight…

Not so, 13.4 for me. No Chuck necessary. There are dozens of people with similar problems on these boards, many more on the internet:

Search - Apple Community

Thanks for the suggestion.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2023 1:35 PM in response to VikingOSX

< Did you drag and drop the drive to be indexed in Spotlight > Privacy panel and forget to remove it from that <panel?

Did not forget. Also, indexing progress bar comes on for like 2 minutes, then stops, as I mentioned in my original post.

< Remember, only Chuck Norris can break Spotlight…

Not so, 13.4 for me. No Chuck necessary. There are dozens of people with similar problems on these boards, many more on the internet:

Search - Apple Community

Jun 14, 2023 6:39 PM in response to Carlos Garcia5

Dear Apple:

Ventura has made Spotlight useless for a lot of us. Please get on that.

For those of you with similar problems, I had to do a clean install through recovery in order to get it somewhat working again, however, about 3 categories of web results and other irrelevant non-sense is being give priority over local files, and the search results are not accurate. Spotlight in Ventura (13.4) no longer ide… - Apple Community PLEASE FIX THIS. I wish I had not updated to Ventura because of this. Can't find anything, can't use Spotlight to launch applications, a total mess.

Jul 18, 2023 7:01 AM in response to Carlos Garcia5

Carlos Garcia5 wrote:

Dear Apple:

Ventura has made Spotlight useless for a lot of us. Please get on that.

For those of you with similar problems, I had to do a clean install through recovery in order to get it somewhat working again, however, about 3 categories of web results and other irrelevant non-sense is being give priority over local files, and the search results are not accurate. Spotlight in Ventura (13.4) no longer ide… - Apple Community PLEASE FIX THIS. I wish I had not updated to Ventura because of this. Can't find anything, can't use Spotlight to launch applications, a total mess.

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your concerns here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Jun 6, 2023 1:00 PM in response to Randall_2023

Hi Randall:

Everything is checked. I've also run the terminal commands multiple times, tried dragging the hard drive in and out of privacy, and have restarted the machine after the index progress bar goes away.

This appears to be an ongoing issue across multiple macOS versions (you can see all of the threads if you do a search). After 13.4 I'm only getting web results, no local files in the HD.

Jun 6, 2023 1:16 PM in response to Carlos Garcia5

Did you drag and drop the drive to be indexed in Spotlight > Privacy panel and forget to remove it from that panel? It won't get indexed until you do. Is this your startup drive, or some application masquerading a cloud filesystem such as Google Drive, or DropBox as a pretend local filesystem?

Remember, only Chuck Norris can break Spotlight…

I find no degradation in Spotlight functionality with macOS 13.4 from previous major versions. I use the Spotlight reserved words as I always have and find what I seek.

Jul 17, 2023 3:24 PM in response to Carlos Garcia5

Yeah same here -- although I was getting System Settings results over Applications. "Messa" would return something weird from Settings, and I launch Messages all the time using Spotlight BEFORE 13.4. For now, putting the folder in privacy and removing it seems to have fixed it, but Spotlight was introduced in 2005 and Apple's obsession with unifying the codebase between macOS and iOS is really "paying off" for consumers /s.

Oh, I almost forgot: I just had to turn off Spotlight on System Settings entirely, and that "fixed" it, although since they have moved almost everything around (and removed a lot of great features) in Settings, that was actually useful. Just not as useful as using spotlight as an application launcher. Maybe this is also Apple's obsession with privacy -- but I would happily trade an opt-in "track my actions" for the smallest drop of consistency and learning from things I have done tens of thousands of times across dozens of Macs. Oh well!

Ventura 13.4 broke Spotlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.