You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos claims photo already imported but search finds nothing

I was trying to import about 15 photos from a folder on my macbook pro to my Photos library which is on an external drive. Photos showed that several of the pics had already been imported and found only 6 new. It imported the 6 and then I tried to find the ones it said had already been imported and couldn't find them.

I checked the Exif data to make sure there was nothing messed up with the dates and there isn't. Still, decided not to trust myself and did a search of the file names and Photos shows "No results". For each of those photos, I tried to import them individually and I get "Would you like to import the following duplicate item" and I get the two little thumbnails of the photo that I'm trying to import and the photo that supposedly already exists in the library but that Photos can't find when I do a search!

Can anyone hazard a guess as to a) what's going on, b) whether or not the photos are indeed in the library, and c) if they are not, how I can convince Photos to import them?

Many, many thanks.

NB: I have no hidden photos.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 2:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 3:25 AM

As you did not mention it -have you checked the "Recently Deleted" album? The search will not show photos in this album.

If the photos are neither in Hidden nor recently Deleted, I would try to import the duplicate, then reveal it in "All Photos". perhaps the Photo has been imported under a different name.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2023 3:25 AM in response to maggie_s

As you did not mention it -have you checked the "Recently Deleted" album? The search will not show photos in this album.

If the photos are neither in Hidden nor recently Deleted, I would try to import the duplicate, then reveal it in "All Photos". perhaps the Photo has been imported under a different name.

Photos claims photo already imported but search finds nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.