You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find and delete the Bing browser from my Mac?

Somehow I ended up with a Bing browser on my iMac. I can't find it in order to delete it. I always launch Safari but before long I look at the screen and it says Bing.com at the top. I usually don't notice it at first but I do a search and I end up at a Microsoft site, then I look up and it says bing.com. I recently downloaded a new Office 365 for Mac and I figured that Bing came with that. How do I get rid of the Bing browser?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 6:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 7:10 AM

There is no "Bing" browser. Bing is Microsoft's search service. It sounds as if you may have gotten your homepage changed to the Bing page.

Change it back to what you prefer:

Change your homepage in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies

Jun 10, 2023 4:32 AM in response to csmaring

Let's review some terminology first. I understand that Safari is loading the Microsoft Bing search page, and you would prefer not to do that. You would like to use your MSN home page instead. Is that correct?

Typing something other than a complete URL (such as https://www.apple.com) in Safari's Smart Search field will cause Safari to use the Search Engine you specified in its Settings. Confirm your chosen Search Engine is what you desire, as described in Apple's Support document, here:

Change Search settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Then, please write back and describe the problem you are experiencing, and what you would prefer to do instead of what's happening.

Jun 10, 2023 3:45 PM in response to csmaring

Thanks. Safari is not a Search Engine and should definitely not be one of the choices presented in Change Search settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. Something else is going on.

Please read Removing "Search Marquis" / "Search Baron" / etc on your own - Apple Community, and post the three screenshots it describes in a reply to this Discussion. Instructions for doing that are included in that document.

Disregard the title of that document. Safari "redirect" problems all have the same cause, and the names by which those things go by is not particularly relevant.

Jun 10, 2023 8:42 AM in response to John Galt

At the end of every day I close any pages that are open. I delete cookies and clear the cache. Then I either turn my Mac off or put it to sleep. The next day I start over with Safari. Sometime during the next day I do any search and the results come back on a page with a Microsoft Bing label/logo on the upper left side of the page and in the search bar at the top it says bing.com. From that point I can't get a page for Safari to load. I have to start over and hope Safari will work the next time. In research this last week I found out about something called the Bing redirect virus that sounds like what is happening. In the settings on my iMac Safari is the named search engine. I have never intentionally used Bing, and now I never will.

How do I find and delete the Bing browser from my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.