You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homekit not detecting when at home or away

Hi, in the last month HomeKit managed to understand only few times when I was at home to trigger the automations. Most of the time it thinks I'm away even if I'm at home. My iPhone is fully aware that I'm home as I can see from the map and from the fact that it triggers the "home" focus.

It has worked well for years and nothing has changed in my home setup.

Do you have any suggestion to solve this issue?

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 10:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 9:34 PM

Having this happen now too. Messing everything up. iOS 17.3.

9 replies

Aug 26, 2023 8:31 AM in response to stefanofromlondon

Same issue here. I've pulled up our home address on every one of our devices and adjusted the GPS position of the home to be dead-center on our house, but most of the time HomeKit doesn't properly register home/away status for my or my wife's devices. The easy fix, in my estimation, would be for HomeKit to use local network detection in addition to GPS coordinates to determine home/away status. If a home hub detects my iPhone on the local network, that should suffice to set the iPhone's status to "home," regardless of GPS data. But AFAICT it doesn't work that way at this point. Feel free to visit feedback.apple.com and request this type of improvement.

Homekit not detecting when at home or away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.