You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New M2 MacBook Pro 2023 is missing Ukrainian Letter - щ

Hello: I just purchased my new M2 MacBook Pro 2023, added Ukrainian QWERTY Input Source (I need to type a lot in Ukrainian) but noticed that the letter щ is completely missing from the keyboard. I asked my friend who has an older macbook pro - M1 2021, - it also missing that letter. I checked and that letter is showing up on Russian keyboard, on the button with tilde or tick. I am sure this could be added to the key with closing bracket, the one with }]. It is very difficult to type without that letter, because it forces us to switch to Russian and add that letter.

Can that be fixed please? Or, am I doing something wrong that I dont see it?

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 7:30 PM

10 replies

Jun 8, 2023 4:58 AM in response to vvoloshinov

Thank you so much Tom, for quick reply and the hint! I definitely did not check the Option when Keyboard Viewer is opened! I checked now and I see even more "missing" letters I was looking for :)

Thank you so much! This works for me, though, I will still check with Apple to see if they can just add it to the long press of ш as they do with, say, і (where they show ї on long press). It would have been just more convenient :)

But, with Option key it is still better than switching to a completely different language just to get the letter, as I was doing :)

Thank you again and have a blessed day!

Jun 8, 2023 5:31 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom: yes, I did try that but, since I type well using English keyboard and I am also fluent in Ukrainian, it is very natural to type without looking at the keyboard when letters pretty much match English keyboard layout, with an exception, of course, of a few letters such as щ. I agree that switching to "Ukrainian" or "Ukrainian Legacy" is a good alternative solution, just not convenient :)

But, I really do appreciate all of the hints and options you had provided already. It is always good to know more than one way to perform certain function at hand.

I also provided a feedback to Apple and see if it is possible to assign the щ to ш. I am sure this could be added to the long-press (holding down) on a ш letter which would (should) show/display a secondary key variations of that letter, like holding down “i” to get “ї”. I also wish it was an option for users to modify that as needed :) but, I am sure providing such capability would allow some users to completely mess things up lol ;)

Anyway, thanks again for great support! I appreciate you!

:)

Jun 8, 2023 6:09 AM in response to vvoloshinov

vvoloshinov wrote:

I also wish it was an option for users to modify that as needed

Yes, that would be a great feature. It used to be that users to do this themselves by editing a file, but I think recent updates have probably made it impossible. See

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/408877/how-to-add-characters-accents-to-the-press-and-hold-character-picker-in-macos

New M2 MacBook Pro 2023 is missing Ukrainian Letter - щ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.