You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Monitor

Hi everyone. I have a 27" iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), and I wondered if I could use it as JUST a monitor when hooked up to a Mac Mini, or if I would just need to get a new monitor. Thanks for any help.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 3:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 4:29 AM

It won't work since the iMac itself does not support Target Display Mode regardless of what MacMini model you have.

From this article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014......24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010"

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2023 4:29 AM in response to HeronPilPond

It won't work since the iMac itself does not support Target Display Mode regardless of what MacMini model you have.

From this article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014......24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010"

Jun 8, 2023 9:29 AM in response to woodmeister50

There's Luna Display. It doesn't turn the iMac into a real hardware monitor – it appears to be more of a software (virtual screen) solution, with a hardware component that you have to plug into the primary computer.

I think you MIGHT be able to run at 5K with a resolution of 30 Hz or 45 Hz if

• You have the USB-C version of Luna Display (which costs $120)
  • You have Mini with a USB-C port
  • You plug the Luna Display directly into one of the Mini's USB-C (Thunderbolt) ports – tying up one of the valuable USB-C (Thunderbolt) ports)
  • You make an Ethernet-to-Ethernet connection or Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt connection (for which you would need a Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable) between the Macs. (I'm not sure if connecting over WiFi would be a good idea for 5K.)
  • You're not planning to display "gaming or other high-motion content."

Note that I may have misread some of the help and system requirements articles on the site. I'd recommend contacting the vendor to see that I haven't read things backwards. Also finding reviews by people (other than the vendor) who have used the thing with 5K iMacs to see how well they think it works.

https://astropad.com/product/lunadisplay/

https://shop.astropad.com/collections/shop-astropad/products/luna-display?variant=12202370793531

(See the 'Before you buy' link on the second page for links to System requirements)

Mac Mini Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.