You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought a used Apple Watch that is locked with previous owner's Apple ID

I bought an Apple whatch on Facebook market place and when I try to connect it it says that only the proprietary can use the Watch and I tried to contact the guy that sold it to me but he never answered and he blocked me

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 12:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 12:40 PM

Activation Lock is designed to prevent anyone else from using an Apple Watch if it's ever lost or stolen.

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Activation Lock is an anti-theft feature that cannot be bypassed. Only the previous owner can remove the lock by using their Apple ID & password. Apple will not help you find the previous owner. If the previous owner cannot or will not remove the lock, then the watch is useless to you or anyone else. Try to get a refund (through eBay) or dispose of the watch properly. In the future, see the 'Before you buy a watch from a third-party' section in:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2023 12:40 PM in response to Carlos_fusillo

Activation Lock is designed to prevent anyone else from using an Apple Watch if it's ever lost or stolen.

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Activation Lock is an anti-theft feature that cannot be bypassed. Only the previous owner can remove the lock by using their Apple ID & password. Apple will not help you find the previous owner. If the previous owner cannot or will not remove the lock, then the watch is useless to you or anyone else. Try to get a refund (through eBay) or dispose of the watch properly. In the future, see the 'Before you buy a watch from a third-party' section in:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

Jun 10, 2023 12:39 PM in response to Carlos_fusillo

Hello Carlos_fusillo,

I understand that you purchased an Apple Watch on Facebook Marketplace, but when you try to connect it, you receive a message stating that only the proprietary owner can use the Watch.

Additionally, you have attempted to contact the seller, but they have not responded and have blocked you.

I'm here to assist you with this situation. Unfortunately, encountering such issues with secondhand purchases can be challenging.

However, I can provide some suggestions to help address the problem:

1. Check Activation Lock Status: Before purchasing a used Apple device, it's essential to ensure that Activation Lock is disabled. Activation Lock is a security feature that prevents unauthorized use of Apple devices. You can check the Activation Lock status by visiting Apple's Activation Lock webpage and entering the device's serial number or IMEI.
  2. Contact Facebook Marketplace Support: Reach out to Facebook Marketplace support to report the issue with the seller. Provide them with all the relevant information, including the seller's profile, any communication you had, and the details of the transaction. Facebook may be able to investigate the matter and assist you further.
  3. Report the Seller: If you believe you have been scammed or sold a non-functional or locked Apple Watch, it's important to report the seller. On Facebook Marketplace, there is usually an option to report a seller for fraudulent activity. Utilize this feature to notify Facebook about your experience.
  4. Consider Local Authorities: If you believe you have fallen victim to fraud or have purchased a stolen device, it may be necessary to involve local authorities. Contact your local law enforcement agency and provide them with all the relevant information, including any details about the seller and the transaction.

Please remember that these steps are suggestions, and their effectiveness may vary depending on the specific circumstances. It's important to be cautious when making secondhand purchases and to verify the legitimacy of the seller and the product before completing a transaction.

I hope you find a resolution to this situation. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Lugab

Bought a used Apple Watch that is locked with previous owner's Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.