You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Son is locked out of his iPad

My son was gifted an iPad Mini for his birthday last November. He's 17 and had set it up himself, but he's forgetful. He hasn't used it in maybe 5-6 months and found that he'd fogotten both his Apple ID, the associated password, AND the iPad's PIN.

In frustration, he decided to use iTunes (on his desktop PC) to updatea and restore the device, thinking it would wipe it clean. Obviously, it did not.

He has no access to his iCloud account (he'd never set it up) and although he has a Gmail account, he didn't set up the iCloud account to point toward the Gmail account.

I tried resetting the iCloud password but to do that, I need the Apple ID, which he can't remember. There are no emails that he can reference since he can only access his iCloud emails from the iPad (and he's reset the iPad and is also still locked out).

I tried the other Apple support recommendations...all of the solutions require knowledge of the Apple ID, which he can't remember.

As a last resort, I was hoping the account recovery documentation (How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support) to assist with this, but that process requires knowledge of the Apple ID.

His sister bought him the iPad for his birthday, and we've the receipt for that purchase (purchased from Best Buy). Can it be reset by Apple if we provide that receipt?

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 6:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 8:26 PM

Using his computer to restore was the correct stop for the forgotten passcode, this is separate from his activation lock issue.

iCloud Activation Lock is a security feature and he’ll need to first try and figure out the Apple ID used so he can reset the password.

If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you can’t you’ll can use proof of ownership, like that receipt from buying the iPad brand new yourself and to “Start an Activation Lock support request.”  from https://al-support.apple.com/#/kbase

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2023 8:26 PM in response to unixf00l

Using his computer to restore was the correct stop for the forgotten passcode, this is separate from his activation lock issue.

iCloud Activation Lock is a security feature and he’ll need to first try and figure out the Apple ID used so he can reset the password.

If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you can’t you’ll can use proof of ownership, like that receipt from buying the iPad brand new yourself and to “Start an Activation Lock support request.”  from https://al-support.apple.com/#/kbase

Son is locked out of his iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.