You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to move a file to folder I have just created and to which I have permissions

So this just happened. I made two screenshots and added them to a new folder I created to hold them. When I made the third screenshot I was unable to save it to that folder, this is the message I got

"Untitled" could not be moved because you don't have permission to access "xyz folder"

I had not changed anything, I checked the folder permissions, I have them.

I am running Ventura 13.4 (22F66)

Is this a known glitch and if it is is there a work around?

Thanks for your help

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 3:35 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Jun 13, 2023 1:30 PM in response to Droll_Pineapple

Droll_Pineapple wrote:

So this just happened. I made two screenshots and added them to a new folder I created to hold them. When I made the third screenshot I was unable to save it to that folder, this is the message I got

"Untitled" could not be moved because you don't have permission to access "xyz folder"

A screenshot by default has a name beginning with "Screenshot" followed by the date & time, so it should not be called "Untitled". If the screenshot file you are trying to copy/move has a proper name, then you likely have some sort of file system issue.

Try running Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are any unfixed errors listed, then run First Aid from Recovery Mode, otherwise you will need to erase the drive, reinstall macOS & restore from a backup.

If it is not a file system issue, then maybe you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS. Typical culprits are anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software....none of which are needed on a Mac. You can try booting into Safe Mode to see if that makes any difference in the behavior.

Are you syncing the parent folder to a cloud service which may be interfering as well?

Jun 13, 2023 2:07 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith Barkley wrote:

Screenshots saved via Preview could very well be named "Untitled" since that is the default for preview.

Learn something new every day. Thanks for the information.

If that is the case, then perhaps the issue may lie with that method of making the screenshot, especially depending where that screenshot is first saved. I just assumed the main macOS snapshot capability since the OP did not specify anything specific.

Jun 13, 2023 2:16 PM in response to Droll_Pineapple

Can you be more specific about your process? I am intrigued by the word “moved”. As pointed out, the name Untitled may be assigned by Preview, but then I’d expect the file to be saved, so how does “move” come into play?

Q1: are your screenshots set to open in Preview?

Q2: are you saving them somewhere and then moving to the designated folder using the Finder? If not, please describe step by step.

Jun 13, 2023 4:17 PM in response to HWTech

The screenshot was taken by Shift, Command and 4

Then in Preview I created new file from clipboard, this gives an ‘untitled’ new file which by default is located in Preview folder on iCloud

As I had moved previous two screenshot files from this location to a new folder on MacBook Air and renamed them there, I expected to repeat the process. But unlike the the first two screen shots the third screenshot was prevented from moving to the new folder when it was ‘Untitled’

In the end I fixed it with a work around e.g. renamed the untitled file where it had been created in iCloud and then dragged it in finder across to the new folder

Jun 14, 2023 12:06 AM in response to Droll_Pineapple

A few observations/suggestions:

1) you seem to have set the screenshots to be put in the Clipboard, and then you use New from Clipboard to edit the file in Preview. You can make this more streamlined by selecting Preview as the destination: Command-Shift-5, Options->Save to: Preview

This way when you press Command-Shift-4 your screenshot opens in Preview immediately

2) There is no need to Save in iCloud first and then move the file. Just select the desired location when saving; the next time you save it will be already in yhat location by default.

Not able to move a file to folder I have just created and to which I have permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.