You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to actually turn off Auto Correct

So, I turned off Auto Correct a long time ago. But! It still autocorrects my sentences. Specifically, when typing a sentence, it will replace the next to last word with a completely new word. With autocorrect off, it shouldn’t change anything, but it does. I’ve looked for more settings that may be autocorrect related, but am at a loss. I use slide to type, which can be problematic without autocorrect, but I’m fine deleting what I need and switching to hunt and peck. But, when everything is spelled perfectly and every word is chosen as desired, autocorrect jumps in and decides that the second to last word was wrong and needs to be changed…even though autocorrect is off. How do I get rid of this? I know it happens in Messages all the time. I’m not sure if it happens in any other app.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 4:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2024 4:29 PM

Also having the exact same issues, have autocorrect and predictive turned off, this is the 7th different phone over 3 different iPhone models I’ve had for at least 3 years, done multiple updates, resets, etc, SAME ISSUE. There’s dozens of moronic glitches & defects with this slide to text keyboard, but this is the most major and would solve a huge amount of aggravation if I could just disable this feature.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2024 4:29 PM in response to Chris_C1

Also having the exact same issues, have autocorrect and predictive turned off, this is the 7th different phone over 3 different iPhone models I’ve had for at least 3 years, done multiple updates, resets, etc, SAME ISSUE. There’s dozens of moronic glitches & defects with this slide to text keyboard, but this is the most major and would solve a huge amount of aggravation if I could just disable this feature.

Jun 15, 2023 9:33 AM in response to scottw703

Hi scottw703,

It sounds like you may still have predictive enabled. You can use these steps to turn it off:

"To turn predictive text off or on:

1. Touch and hold the smile emoji  or the globe icon globe icon.
  2. Tap Keyboard Settings, then turn Predictive on or off.

Or go to Settings > General > Keyboard, and turn Predictive on or off."

You can also see that here: How to use Auto-Correction and predictive text on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Good luck!

Jun 15, 2023 1:06 PM in response to Bryan_K1

Yup. I’m on 16.5. This is an issue that has gone for years, though.

And I have to restart about every other month, funny enough. This is because another issue over the last half year is that the touch screen stops responding and requires a full restart (actually two restarts. The first always bricks the phone and the second actually refreshes the phone).

I’d wipe and reinstall, but these days that’s not a viable option given all of the stuff that needs to be set up again after starting a phone from new. And I’m pretty sure this is a function and not a bug.

Regardless, my phone is up to date and has been restarted, but while writing the phone will continue to change words when it feels the last word typed merits changing the second to last word typed. It could be an embedded function of Slide To Type, but it shouldn’t be.

I’m not a fast (or accurate) typer, so the value of Slide To Type is too great to turn off the option. Although I guess I can try finger spelling for a while to eliminate that idea that it is an embedded function of Slide To Type.

Feb 12, 2024 5:41 PM in response to scottw703

Same exact problem, exactly as described. My iOS is completely up–to date (17.3.1) and I restart the phone (SE) daily. Auto–correct and Predictive Text are turned OFF. The problem occurs regularly in iMessage and in Notes, when using swipe-to-type. iPhone autocorrects second–to–last word, after the last word is entered. For example, I just now tried to enter "Have meds ready." I entered "Have" successfully, but when I then entered "meds," the previous word, "have," automatically changed to "gave."

This has GOT to be a bug.

How to actually turn off Auto Correct

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.