You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Sharing can only control one of multiple remote displays

I have a 3-monitor setup at work, and have screen sharing enabled. I can remote in and see all the screens, switch between them, etc. BUT... I can only control one display, apparently whichever one the Finder was last active on. I've seen other people ask this question, and have tried the only answer I've seen: make sure the arrangement on the target computer's displays is properly aligned and not overlapping. That did not help.

I've already looked at the guide here: Control or observe one client computer with Remote Desktop - Apple Support

That guide does not help at all for this.

Does anyone know how to gain control of more than one screen when the target computer is a multi-display setup?

Thanks,

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 2:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 6:54 AM

UPDATE: I had my displays preference set up to have each display have it's on spaces. I turned that setting off, and tried again. That *changes* the behavior of the non-controllable displays: it allows me to click on application windows and move them around, but still will not allow any other action (clicking on a hyperlink in a web page does absolutely nothing).

So... still having this problem. These forums are basically dead. Mac user community is so freaking sad these days.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 16, 2023 6:54 AM in response to Derrick Fogle2

UPDATE: I had my displays preference set up to have each display have it's on spaces. I turned that setting off, and tried again. That *changes* the behavior of the non-controllable displays: it allows me to click on application windows and move them around, but still will not allow any other action (clicking on a hyperlink in a web page does absolutely nothing).

So... still having this problem. These forums are basically dead. Mac user community is so freaking sad these days.

Jul 3, 2024 6:28 AM in response to Derrick Fogle2

I'm having exactly the same problem. I also have three monitors connected to a Mac studio. It seems like I can control keyboard and mouse movements on my mac connected through Share Screen, but mouse clicks only work on display 1. The problem is the same even if when I use other 3rd party software that supports the VNC protocol. I've been using this setup for a long time, but this problem occurred relatively recently.

Screen Sharing can only control one of multiple remote displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.