You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird Wifi Bug

Hello!

I was messing around with my wifi settings on my router and found a weird bug with apple devices and was wondering if this a bug that can be replicated by others.

For some reason all my apple products, which are all models within the last 3 years, are NOT able to find any Wi-Fi networks with these specific settings:

hidden SSID

5Gz

either on channel 161 or 165.

If I turn on SSID to be broadcasted, all my devices can see and auto connects to the 5Gz network. But the moment I turn off the SSID broadcast, all my devices can't find the network at all.

If I change the channel to anything lower than 161 or 165 and have the SSID hidden, my devices connect to the network just fine!

Everything is on iOS 16.5, I've rebooted all my devices, reset network settings.

Very bizarre bug! I would like you guys to try this and confirm if you guys have this issue as well - which then, hopefully apple can look into it!

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 4:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 4:59 PM

There’s no bug here; lots of people use networks with hidden SSIDs. Although, to be honest, hiding the SSID has no actual benefit because any Wi-Fi sniffer can find the network anyway; all hiding it does is give a false sense of security.

If the router does not broadcast SSID of course your phone can’t find it; you must set it up manually, entering the SSID into the Wi-Fi settings on the phone. Go to Settings/Wi-Fi/Other, enter the network name and password.

This has nothing to do with the band or the channel. You are better off letting the router chose the channel, rather than assigning a channel manually; it will find the least congested channel on its own.

From→Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support:

Hidden network

Set to Disabled

A router can be configured to hide its network name (SSID). Your router might incorrectly use “closed” to mean hidden, and “broadcast” to mean not hidden.

Hiding the network name doesn't conceal the network from detection or secure it against unauthorized access. And because of the way that devices search for and connect to Wi-Fi networks, using a hidden network might expose information that can be used to identify you and the hidden networks you use, such as your home network. When connected to a hidden network, your device might show a privacy warning because of this privacy risk.

To secure access to your network, use the appropriate security setting instead.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 14, 2023 4:59 PM in response to mrspooky

There’s no bug here; lots of people use networks with hidden SSIDs. Although, to be honest, hiding the SSID has no actual benefit because any Wi-Fi sniffer can find the network anyway; all hiding it does is give a false sense of security.

If the router does not broadcast SSID of course your phone can’t find it; you must set it up manually, entering the SSID into the Wi-Fi settings on the phone. Go to Settings/Wi-Fi/Other, enter the network name and password.

This has nothing to do with the band or the channel. You are better off letting the router chose the channel, rather than assigning a channel manually; it will find the least congested channel on its own.

From→Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support:

Hidden network

Set to Disabled

A router can be configured to hide its network name (SSID). Your router might incorrectly use “closed” to mean hidden, and “broadcast” to mean not hidden.

Hiding the network name doesn't conceal the network from detection or secure it against unauthorized access. And because of the way that devices search for and connect to Wi-Fi networks, using a hidden network might expose information that can be used to identify you and the hidden networks you use, such as your home network. When connected to a hidden network, your device might show a privacy warning because of this privacy risk.

To secure access to your network, use the appropriate security setting instead.

Jun 15, 2023 7:24 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yeah I think you're jumping into conclusions without actually reading my post and assuming I have no technical knowledge.

Hiding your SSID DOES protect you against an AVERAGE user of trying to crack your pre-shared key if they use multiple devices and overload your router with authentication requests. I am well aware of the NON-AVERAGE user using a sniffer, I use a sniffer myself to dedicate which channel to put my wifi network on. You can't do anything other than having a complex PSK.

Again, I don't think you read my post at all.

Weird Wifi Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.