You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No save prompt when closing TextEdit after edits

It used to be that if I made edits to a TextEdit file, then when closing the app, it would ask if I want to save those changes if I hadn't saved it yet. However, now it just automatically saves, as if assuming I wanted to keep the edits. The thing is, very often I make edits and then decide I don't want to save those edits, which is why the save prompt was useful, critical even. Apparently there used to be a setting in System Settings that would bring back the original behavior, but it seems it's no longer there. Please advise. macOS 13.4.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 8:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 9:21 AM

The setting you want is still there, just not where you might expect to find it! Open System Settings, In the left sidebar click on "Desktop & Dock", and go down to the section "Windows & Apps". Here the second item will give you what you want. Hope this helps you!

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 15, 2023 10:09 AM in response to Ian Leckie

Thanks for that information. I would never have found it.

However, with Text Edit, there is a bug even with that setting turned off. Text Edit will save any changes no matter what. I have lost & corrupted information because of it. I just confirmed the issue still exists with Ventura 13.4....I've seen it as far back as 10.15 Catalina. I have all auto save features turned off including the one you noted here for Ventura.

No save prompt when closing TextEdit after edits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.