You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting a notification that my Mac has been infected with a virus

Hi Apple folk - all of a sudden I keep getting a notification that my Mac has been infected with a virus and that my icloud account and lap top is being hacked - I dont see anything happening and have used disk utility first aid and nothing - help!! Whats next?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 9:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 9:59 AM

If these are sliding in the from the top right of the screen, a site you visited has given itself permission to send push notifications. Everything you're seeing is nothing but a scam. You aren't infected with anything.

Open Safari's preferences. Click on the Websites tab and then scroll down to Notifications. Clear any entries in the right hand window. You might find something similar in the Pop-up Windows heading below that. Block any you don't recognize.

Then if you want, uncheck the box below as shown here.

I personally can't think of any reason why I would ever want any website to push notices to me.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 16, 2023 9:59 AM in response to Si006

If these are sliding in the from the top right of the screen, a site you visited has given itself permission to send push notifications. Everything you're seeing is nothing but a scam. You aren't infected with anything.

Open Safari's preferences. Click on the Websites tab and then scroll down to Notifications. Clear any entries in the right hand window. You might find something similar in the Pop-up Windows heading below that. Block any you don't recognize.

Then if you want, uncheck the box below as shown here.

I personally can't think of any reason why I would ever want any website to push notices to me.

Jun 16, 2023 9:33 AM in response to Si006

Learn how to block annoying pop-up ads in Safari on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac using the tips in this support article --> Block pop-up ads and windows in Safari - Apple Support

Scams (e-mail, text messages, and phone calls) are getting very good at closely imitating true Apple communications. Always be cautious. These support articles have some guidelines:

About identifying legitimate emails from the App Store and iTunes Store --> Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Avoid scams when you use Apple Cash --> Avoid scams when you use Apple Cash - Apple Support

Apple 'How to identify, avoid, and report phishing' video--> https://youtu.be/SR3Z3fXXjfw

If you are uncertain about a message and a resource provided in that message, do not click on any links in the message. Try to independently verify the resource by going to a support page on apple.com and use that to contact Apple or to verify with the service the message is telling you to use.

Jun 16, 2023 10:01 AM in response to Si006

I mean an anti virus / malware software that actually works on a Mac - Mac is generally pretty good but this is annoying as F*

If by "actually works" you mean, "makes Mac run poorly, reduces security, and doesn't do anything about malware," they all "actually work" quite well.

If you allowed notifications from websites or installed Adware, you should disable/remove them.

Apr 4, 2024 5:41 PM in response to Si006

while it is troublesome and quite annoying, I am glad I was not alone w/the ”virus” notification others got also. THANKS TO ALL WHO replied to me, and others w/the same problem. The funny thing about it for me, is that I do frequently check to make sure there are no websites that I have not actually gone to, and I am forever blocking ads, managing what ads I might be interested in.. not tech savvy at all but for some reason those seemed to be things to check frequently. I was also getting an email that my iCloud was full. I have never opened iCloud.. have no interest in storing thing somewhere out there in never never land. Rest assured you have helped calm me down.

I keep getting a notification that my Mac has been infected with a virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.