You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically import photos from a shared album?

Is there a way to have Photos automatically save new photos that are added to a Shared Album to the Photos Library? I set up a Shared Album for my elderly parents, but explaining that they need to go look for the photos in the Shared Albums location is just one more step that confuses them, so I'd like to have the photos copied over to their main Library.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 9:30 AM

1 reply

Jun 20, 2023 5:45 PM in response to Kelly Frame

Hi Kelly Frame,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

Photos from shared albums are not automatically added to your personal library. Those photos have to be selected and the user must choose "Save Image" in order for it to save to their own device.

Save photos and videos from a shared album

When you share photos and videos with someone, they can save shared items to their own library.
1. Tap the photo or video.
2. Tap the Share button .
3. Tap Save Image or Save Video.

You can find these steps in How to use Shared Albums in Photos on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac - Apple Support.

Find more information on how to use shared albums in Create a shared album in Photos on Mac - Apple Support.

Regards.

Kelly Frame wrote:

Is there a way to have Photos automatically save new photos that are added to a Shared Album to the Photos Library? I set up a Shared Album for my elderly parents, but explaining that they need to go look for the photos in the Shared Albums location is just one more step that confuses them, so I'd like to have the photos copied over to their main Library.

Automatically import photos from a shared album?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.