You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

power button doesn't power on

MacBook Pro, 16-inch, 2019 model, power button now acts differently. The first time I press it, the screen shows a battery icon and what percentage the battery is charged. The second time I press it the MBP will actually power up. It never did this before. How can I change it back to simply power up? It does this same behavior on battery or on AC charger. I can't find any information about this anywhere.

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 7:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 8:02 AM

OK, found the answer. Someone went into Terminal to stop the auto-boot when the lid is opened. We use this at a church, and when it boots before we connect the various video outputs, it screws up our third party software, which is why it was set to not boot when opening the lid. So we will just live with it for now, but it's normal behavior when you disable lid-open-boot.

FYI, to control this, use this in Terminal:

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00 (stops auto boot when lid is opened)

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%03 (resets to default behavior of booting when lid is opened)

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2023 8:02 AM in response to BenB

OK, found the answer. Someone went into Terminal to stop the auto-boot when the lid is opened. We use this at a church, and when it boots before we connect the various video outputs, it screws up our third party software, which is why it was set to not boot when opening the lid. So we will just live with it for now, but it's normal behavior when you disable lid-open-boot.

FYI, to control this, use this in Terminal:

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00 (stops auto boot when lid is opened)

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%03 (resets to default behavior of booting when lid is opened)

Jun 26, 2023 10:03 AM in response to BenB

I've disabled autoboot on my 2016 13" MBP several times and it's never had any effect on any software, Apple or 3rd party. It just shuts down lift lid to start.

Problem with doing so as soon as your reset SMC it come back.

If stopping autoboot is causing these problems, your Mac is not operating properly. That bad part there is it's likely to get worse as parts age.

power button doesn't power on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.