You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do i need to keep my apple pencil 1st generation plugged in to my i pad 10 at all times?

I’m getting an iPad 10 and I want to get the pencil for it. Do I need to keep it plugged in at all times to my iPad or do I just need it for pairing? I can’t get a clear answer anywhere!!

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 1:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 3:04 PM

Your first generation Pencil only needs to be connected directly to your iPad10 to pair the Pencil - or to charge from the iPad. After pairing with the iPad, the Pencil can also be charged - using the charging cable and special adapter - from your Power Adapter.

Be aware that the Pencil cannot actually be used with the iPad while it is connected to a source of power.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2023 3:04 PM in response to hattie9613

Your first generation Pencil only needs to be connected directly to your iPad10 to pair the Pencil - or to charge from the iPad. After pairing with the iPad, the Pencil can also be charged - using the charging cable and special adapter - from your Power Adapter.

Be aware that the Pencil cannot actually be used with the iPad while it is connected to a source of power.

Do i need to keep my apple pencil 1st generation plugged in to my i pad 10 at all times?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.