You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer compatibility

My Epson Stylus Photo R285 doesn't work on my new AirBook M1.

Epson software is updated.

Is there anything I can try, beside buying a new printer?

Thank you

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 7:24 AM

13 replies

Jul 1, 2023 10:36 AM in response to ermanno196

Hi,

The latest printer driver (at the European support site) is v.12.62 (06-Dec-2022). Is this the driver that you are attempting to use?

https://www.epson.eu/en_EU/support/sc/epson-stylus-photo-r285/s/s679?selected-tab=&selected-os=macOS+13+%28Ventura%29&selected-lang=en

Which exact Mac operating system version?

Have you tried resetting the printing system and re-adding the printer?

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Jul 2, 2023 4:21 AM in response to ermanno196

Thank you for the information.

I guess that you have tried to reset the printing system as well (in accordance with the aforementioned article).

Apparently, there is some kind of compatibility problem between the Mac and software offered by the printer manufacturer, so, yes, contacting Epson for help is probably not a bad idea.

In the meantime, you may have to connect the printer to an older Mac or a Windows computer (at least for a comparative test). Good luck!

Jul 2, 2023 5:34 AM in response to ermanno196

FWIW, printer manufacturers periodically drop support for older printers and newer computers/operating systems. The tendency is to drop support of consumer models more often than business models but not always the case.

Printer companies don't make money supporting old printers and considering the Epson model you speak of was first released 15 years ago, it would not be surprising if drivers for it no longer work. This is just a fact of life in the corporate world of tech products.

While I am sure the printer has served you well and still works fine, it may be time to consider putting the old gal to rest and move on.

Printer compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.