You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the notification that Apple will delete photo streaming from iPhones a Scam?

There have been reports in Newspapers and on line stating that “APPLE are shutting down photo streaming and that all our photos on our iPhones will be deleted”… is this a SCAM? as I suspect & hope it is, otherwise why am I paying a monthly iCloud fee?

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 10:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 10:25 AM

No, it's not a scam. Apple is shutting down Photo Stream, I believe on July 26th. If you have photos still in Photo Stream, you have until that date to move to iCloud or somewhere else, otherwise they will be gone.

See this Support Article directly from Apple on what you can do --> Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown - Apple Support

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 2, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Junieh1

No, it's not a scam. Apple is shutting down Photo Stream, I believe on July 26th. If you have photos still in Photo Stream, you have until that date to move to iCloud or somewhere else, otherwise they will be gone.

See this Support Article directly from Apple on what you can do --> Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown - Apple Support

Jul 2, 2023 10:29 AM in response to Junieh1

No, it’s not a scam. I have received a series of emails about the shutdown of Photo Stream. If you are using iCloud Photos, the shutdown of Photo Stream has no bearing at all on your situation. You are fine.

Even if you are using Photo Stream, you will not lose any photos. The photos will be saved on the device that took the photos. IOW, if you took photos on your phone and they appeared in the Photo Stream on your iPad, unless you save the photos in the Photo Stream on your iPad, they will disappear from the iPad when photo stream shuts down. However, the photos will still be saved on your phone.

This might help you understand it better.

Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown - Apple Support

Jul 3, 2023 4:53 PM in response to Junieh1

The photos you took on either your iPhone or iPad will not be removed. If you have photos in Photo Stream, you just won't have access to them via Photo Stream.

As to your storage dilemma, it's costs like $2/month to to have 50GB of storage on iCloud. If you need more space, buy more. It's really not expensive.

You can also connect your iPhone or your iPad to your computer and move all your photos to a folder on your computer directly. I'd still recommend more space in iCloud and it never hurts to have your photos in more than one place. Redundant storage can be a very good thing.

Here is a link about how to move your photos to your computer --> Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

And here is a link where you can see the storage plans for iCloud, which would be smart to buy if you're running low on storage in the cloud --> Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

Jul 3, 2023 1:00 PM in response to Demo

Thank you so much for your great reply… I was getting rather annoyed that every flippin photo I took on one device went to another so this may well work well for me so thanks very much Demo for demonstrating this to me…. I’m a 76 year old, not too bad with the net but very wary of scams etc so this one’s put to bed now… cheers, take care matey & stay safe 🦋

Jul 3, 2023 1:11 PM in response to Demo

I am very wary because my Mum got scammed by a rogue builder who took advantage of her age and that she had onset dementia, plus a friend got roped into a romance scam… it’s been tried with me a couple of times but thankfully I still have my wits about me hahaha, hopefully I won’t lose me marbles eh. Take care Demo and thanks for assuring me, bless ya heart ❤️

Jul 3, 2023 4:04 PM in response to Junieh1

Eeek Thanks for answering Lobsterghost1… What is meant by ‘streaming’ please? will I lose all the photos & videos I’ve taken on my iPhone then? What about my iPad will I lose them too? I don’t think I’ve enough iCloud space for them all. What I can I do I’ve precious photos I really don’t want to lose. Thanks in advance bless you.

Is the notification that Apple will delete photo streaming from iPhones a Scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.