You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad storage vs Icloud storage

I am considering buying an iPad Air, but I cannot decide between 64GB and 256 GB. I know I will need more space than 64, however, I already pay for 2TB of iCloud storage. So my question is, is it better to buy the 64GB iPad, save the money, and sync it to my existing iCloud subscription, or will that still limit my experience using my iPad? I'm not sure if the iCloud storage will work the same as existing storage on the iPad if that makes sense.

I am mainly buying an iPad for procreate and maybe some content consumption, but not for video editing or anything like

that.

Thank you!

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 9:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 9:53 AM

also, when downloading apps, can they only use the space on the iPad? or can they also make use of iCloud storage?

5 replies

Jul 3, 2023 9:56 AM in response to desireecon

iCloud Storage and Device Storage are 2 different and independent things. Once does not affect the either in any way. click here ➜ What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

You should always get as much local storage capacity as budget allows, as it cannot be changed after purchase.

Your 2TB iCloud storage will be available to any device signed in to your Apple ID / iCloud account for backups, file and photo synchronization, iCloud email,contacts notes etc... It cannot store apps, and it cannot storer anything that does not have a local copy on your device.

Yes, getting less local storage will impact your usage of your device .

Jul 3, 2023 10:04 AM in response to desireecon

Internal and iCloud storage serve different purposes. While you can store some data in iCloud, it is not a substitute for local storage.

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Whichever iPad model of iPad that you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Consider also the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Only WiFi+Cellular models include GPS capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model does not commit you to using Cellular connections, but provides this flexibility should it be needed.  WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GPS functions at all.

Ipad storage vs Icloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.