You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App store

Recently found my very old ipad. Which my son has now taken ownership of but when he's gone to downloads app on it uts coming up saying the app isn't compatible. Is there anything I can do at all or is it a case of just buying him a new one. It's all fully updated and everything else is working perfect.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 2:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 2:48 PM

iOS9 is now quite old and you will find very few apps available for it. It is 7 versions out of date and most developers focus on supporting the last 2 or 3 versions. Even the web browser can have problems since although there may be a version that supports iOS9, it relies upon Apple's own software for most of what it does and that hasn't been updated in 5 years or so.

Using an iPad 2 is a labor of love and patience and I fear you may wish to find him a newer iPad. :-)

(I have two, by the way, so I speak from experience.)

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 3, 2023 2:48 PM in response to courtneyjadeblake99

iOS9 is now quite old and you will find very few apps available for it. It is 7 versions out of date and most developers focus on supporting the last 2 or 3 versions. Even the web browser can have problems since although there may be a version that supports iOS9, it relies upon Apple's own software for most of what it does and that hasn't been updated in 5 years or so.

Using an iPad 2 is a labor of love and patience and I fear you may wish to find him a newer iPad. :-)

(I have two, by the way, so I speak from experience.)

Jul 3, 2023 2:51 PM in response to courtneyjadeblake99

iPad 2, iOS 9

saying the app isn't compatible.

You have an older type of iPad, it can’t be update to a higher iPadOS (13 and later).

That may be the cause of the problem.

If you have an outdated iPad that cannot be updated any more, many apps will not be able to download.

Outdated iPad no longer meets the requirements for many apps.

Most apps required iPadOS 13.4 or later.    

of just buying him a new one.

Considering a newer type of iPad?

Read this before you buy a newer type iPad.

App store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.