You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2020. It keeps restarting frequently. Please, what is the solution it this problem?

How to solve frequent unexpected restart for MacBook Pro 2020?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 8:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 12:15 AM

Hi there!

The Apple Support article If your Mac restarts and a message appears - Apple Support should be helpful in solving this issue:

If your Mac restarts unexpectedly, an error known as a kernel panic occurred, and a message indicates that your computer restarted because of a problem.

The most likely cause is faulty software. A kernel panic can also be caused by damaged or incompatible hardware, including external devices attached to your Mac.

If the kernel panic is caused by a known problem, the faulty software is identified. To make sure that this software doesn’t continue to cause kernel panics, move it to the Trash.
If the faulty software is not identified and your Mac continues to experience kernel panics, try the following:
* Restart your Mac in safe mode. If it successfully starts up in safe mode, choose Apple menu  > App Store, click Updates, then install any available updates.
* Uninstall any plug-ins or other enhancement software from manufacturers other than Apple. If you recently updated macOS or an app, plug-ins and other software that worked in the past may no longer be compatible. Read the manufacturer’s documentation (including Read Me notes) to be sure the software is compatible with your version of macOS.
* Disconnect all devices except for an Apple keyboard and mouse. Remove hardware upgrades from other manufacturers, such as random-access memory (RAM) and Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) cards. Then try restarting your Mac.
* If this resolves the issue, reconnect one device at a time, restarting your Mac after reconnecting each one, until you determine which device is causing the problem.
* Use Apple Diagnostics to diagnose problems with your computer’s internal hardware, such as the logic board, memory, and wireless components. See the Apple Support article Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac.

If the suggestions above don’t help, try reinstalling macOS.
Note: If you moved or renamed a system file or folder, you must reinstall macOS—it won’t work to just replace or rename the item.

Jack

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2023 12:15 AM in response to ngbede

Hi there!

The Apple Support article If your Mac restarts and a message appears - Apple Support should be helpful in solving this issue:

If your Mac restarts unexpectedly, an error known as a kernel panic occurred, and a message indicates that your computer restarted because of a problem.

The most likely cause is faulty software. A kernel panic can also be caused by damaged or incompatible hardware, including external devices attached to your Mac.

If the kernel panic is caused by a known problem, the faulty software is identified. To make sure that this software doesn’t continue to cause kernel panics, move it to the Trash.
If the faulty software is not identified and your Mac continues to experience kernel panics, try the following:
* Restart your Mac in safe mode. If it successfully starts up in safe mode, choose Apple menu  > App Store, click Updates, then install any available updates.
* Uninstall any plug-ins or other enhancement software from manufacturers other than Apple. If you recently updated macOS or an app, plug-ins and other software that worked in the past may no longer be compatible. Read the manufacturer’s documentation (including Read Me notes) to be sure the software is compatible with your version of macOS.
* Disconnect all devices except for an Apple keyboard and mouse. Remove hardware upgrades from other manufacturers, such as random-access memory (RAM) and Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) cards. Then try restarting your Mac.
* If this resolves the issue, reconnect one device at a time, restarting your Mac after reconnecting each one, until you determine which device is causing the problem.
* Use Apple Diagnostics to diagnose problems with your computer’s internal hardware, such as the logic board, memory, and wireless components. See the Apple Support article Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac.

If the suggestions above don’t help, try reinstalling macOS.
Note: If you moved or renamed a system file or folder, you must reinstall macOS—it won’t work to just replace or rename the item.

Jack

Jul 26, 2023 2:07 PM in response to ngbede

I have been plagued by this for a long time, and finally took my 2020 Macbook Pro into the genius bar. Although there seems to be a lot of advice in Apple Support suggesting solutions for software issues, the Genius Bar guy told me that if you are getting the error message that says something like "panic(cpu ...) userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from dfrd in 180 seconds," and you have a flickering touchbar, it is a hardware issue with potentially a $600 fix.

I am losing confidence in Apple reliability.

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2020. It keeps restarting frequently. Please, what is the solution it this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.