You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iPad Pro handle heavy-duty usage?

I've been thinking about getting an iPad Pro with the idea of replacing my existing desktop computer. Even though it has a mini-ITX form factor, I'm tiring of the space it's taking up on my desk.

I use the desktop at least 7 - 8 hours per day, mainly to watch Youtube videos, and edit two-hour long videos approximately twice a week for a client. The videos involve simple editing, with no fancy transitions, effects or colour grading. About once a week (or every other week), I edit maybe 50 photos in Lightroom. I also use Corel Draw.

Would an iPad Pro be able to handle this kind of heavy-duty usage day in, day out, or would I be better off getting something like a Mac Mini?

One reason why I like the iPad is that it can also be used as a drawing tablet. Plus, I might be moving to a different part of my country or even overseas next year, so I won't want to be lugging along a desktop when moving.

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 2:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 3:18 PM

See Apple’s claims about the iPad Pro here.

iPad Pro - Why iPad - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 4, 2023 3:41 PM in response to 519crmn011

An iPad Pro is certainly very capable of the described tasks - although you may wish (or need) to consider the use of different Apps from those that are used on your desktop computer.

Adobe does have a Lightroom for iPad App - although this may not have all the features of the version for Windows PC. Similarly, for Corel Draw, you may also wish to consider alternatives. There are many good professional grade Apps, available from the App Store, from which to choose.

Other than Apple’s own Photos App, popular choices for photo editing might be Affinity Photo and/or Photomator. For video editing, perhaps consider LumaFusion.

The iPad operating on battery power alone may struggle to manage 7-8 hours of continuous use with graphics intensive Apps. As such, you’ll be wise to use the iPad connected to its Power Adapter where AC power is available. A high capacity PowerBank (20,000 - 16000 mAh) can add useful battery autonomy when away from mains power.

As you observe, an iPad does useful drawing/editing features facilitated by an Apple Pencil. While it is possible to use just a finger in place of a Pencil, the latter adds useful flexibility and precision that the Mk.1 fingertip lacks.

Can iPad Pro handle heavy-duty usage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.