You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am coming to pick up new MacBook Air and would like data transferred at same time. Is this possible?

If I use iCloud for backup, would I be able to transfer data to new computer?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 10:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 10:21 AM

UpsyDaisy1 wrote:

I don’t have Apple Time Machine so what do I do?

Use whatever backup tool you have. There are many ways to back up a computer; iCloud is not a way.

If your old computer is a Mac you do have Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Or, pick up the new computer then use Migration Assistant to transfer your data to the new computer.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 5, 2023 10:21 AM in response to UpsyDaisy1

UpsyDaisy1 wrote:

I don’t have Apple Time Machine so what do I do?

Use whatever backup tool you have. There are many ways to back up a computer; iCloud is not a way.

If your old computer is a Mac you do have Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Or, pick up the new computer then use Migration Assistant to transfer your data to the new computer.

Jul 5, 2023 1:12 PM in response to UpsyDaisy1

As mentioned above, iCloud doesn't back up your current MacBook Air. It does back up certain documents, provided you've set them up that way.

Their are three basic means of running Migration Assistant to transfer everything from one Mac to another:

• A Time Machine backup external hard drive.
  • If your current MacBook Air has a Thunderbolt port, you can get a Thunderbolt->Thunderbolt cable to connect the two computers together and run Migration Assistant that way. (This is the method I chose a couple weeks ago when I purchased my new 15" MBA...and it's probably the fastest method).
  • Migration Assistant can also be used to migrate everything via WiFi, provided they're both on the same WiFi network.

Hope this helps.

Jul 5, 2023 10:13 AM in response to UpsyDaisy1

UpsyDaisy1 wrote:

If I use iCloud for backup, would I be able to transfer data to new computer?

iCloud is not a computer backup mechanism. If you have douments on iCloud, when you log into your iCloud account with the new computer the files in iCloud will be synchronized with your new computer. Time Machine provides Mac computer backup.

I am coming to pick up new MacBook Air and would like data transferred at same time. Is this possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.