You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make a cell with a formula show as blank?

I've had some great help from this community the past few days, so I'm back again! In my personal budget spreadsheet, I'd like areas I haven't budgeted for to be completely blank. My tables have gotten quite complicated & large with lots of categories, broken up by month and as I'm a very visual person, it would just help me to make sense of things if a certain cells stayed blank. As I'm living with family ATM, I'm not having to budget for all sorts of household expenses yet, but I still have them in my spreadsheet for the future, along with things like holidays, which I can't afford right now, but hope to in future. 

So on this simplified version of my spreadsheet as an example, how would I make D8 (for the 'Travel' category) show as blank? I saw another post where someone set a custom cell format to achieve this by having it show as blank if it's value was zero, but I where my budget & actual costs are the same, I want those to show as zero (as in D5.) I could just delete what's in the cell, but that deletes the formula too, which I'd then have to reinstate later. Can I adjust the formula to only return a result if the cells it's referencing have some value in them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 12:45 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 8, 2023 6:12 PM in response to Badunit

I've just realised I'd like to do this with some cells that have a SUM formula in them. I keep playing around with different syntaxes but none of them work. The original formula was just the some of a column, e.g. SUM(B3:B39)

P.S. I wish I didn't have to ask every time I want to do some thing with a formula, but I find them absolutely baffling! Where can I go to get a basic understanding of them? Are they as hard to understand as they seem?

How to make a cell with a formula show as blank?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.