You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil compatibility

Is Apple Pencil 2 compatible with 9th generation IPad 10.2

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 6:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 8:46 AM

No.

Here is Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

The first and second generation Pencil use an entirely different pairing and charging interface. 

The second generation Pencil can only be used with iPad models that have the magnetic/inductive dock that is exclusively designed for the Pencil. Charging is controlled via the iPad magnetic dock.

The first generation Apple Pencil uses the physical Lightning port of the Pencil and host iPad for both pairing and charging the first generation Pencil. The first generation Pencil can also be charged using an inline charging adapter and the iPad’s Power Adapter. This pencil can only be used with compatible iPad models that have a Lightning connector; with the sole exception of the new iPad10, requiring a special adapter, iPad models that feature a USB-C port lack any means by which to pair with a first generation Pencil.

In summary, the Apple Pencil models are not interchangeable - and can only be used with the iPad that has appropriate internal hardware.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 8, 2023 8:46 AM in response to GlJo2

No.

Here is Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

The first and second generation Pencil use an entirely different pairing and charging interface. 

The second generation Pencil can only be used with iPad models that have the magnetic/inductive dock that is exclusively designed for the Pencil. Charging is controlled via the iPad magnetic dock.

The first generation Apple Pencil uses the physical Lightning port of the Pencil and host iPad for both pairing and charging the first generation Pencil. The first generation Pencil can also be charged using an inline charging adapter and the iPad’s Power Adapter. This pencil can only be used with compatible iPad models that have a Lightning connector; with the sole exception of the new iPad10, requiring a special adapter, iPad models that feature a USB-C port lack any means by which to pair with a first generation Pencil.

In summary, the Apple Pencil models are not interchangeable - and can only be used with the iPad that has appropriate internal hardware.

Nov 2, 2023 2:52 AM in response to GlJo2

I've been an Apple enthusiast for years, but I can't help feeling that lately, the company is becoming increasingly inconsiderate of their customers' needs. Their decision to make the Apple Pencil 2 compatible with every iPad except the newest 10th generation feels like a significant letdown and, in my opinion, one of their biggest downfalls.

Apple has built its reputation on providing a seamless and integrated ecosystem, and their commitment to that was one of the reasons I chose their products. However, the fact that the Apple Pencil 2, which is a key accessory for many, doesn't work with their latest iPad model is nothing short of frustrating.

It leaves me wondering if Apple is more focused on driving sales and forcing customers to upgrade rather than catering to the needs and preferences of their loyal users. This is not the Apple I once admired, and it's disheartening to see such a glaring oversight.

I hope that Apple reevaluates their approach and listens to the concerns of their customers. After all, it's the customers who have helped Apple reach the pinnacle of success, and it's important that their needs and expectations continue to be a top priority.

Nov 2, 2023 3:40 AM in response to MyaFaith777

MyaFaith777 wrote:

I've been an Apple enthusiast for years, but I can't help feeling that lately, the company is becoming increasingly inconsiderate of their customers' needs. Their decision to make the Apple Pencil 2 compatible with every iPad except the newest 10th generation feels like a significant letdown and, in my opinion, one of their biggest downfalls.

Apple has built its reputation on providing a seamless and integrated ecosystem, and their commitment to that was one of the reasons I chose their products. However, the fact that the Apple Pencil 2, which is a key accessory for many, doesn't work with their latest iPad model is nothing short of frustrating.

The second generation Apple Pencil is only compatible with iPad models that feature an inductive/magnetic charging dock that is explicitly designed for pairing/charging the second generation Pencil. 

The iPad10 does not have an inductive charging dock - principally as the front-facing camera has been relocated to the centre of the long-edge of the screen - and now occupies the internal cavity that might otherwise house the inductive charging dock components. As such, the iPad10 instead supports the first generation Apple Pencil that is paired and charged via the iPad’s USB-C port.

Apple Pencil compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.