You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie to Instagram Issue.

When I attempt to upload an iMovie edited iPhone video to instagram I get this image (a lot of black space around the video).

Is there a way to correct this?

Things I’ve tried:

• Cropping in iMovie
  • Exporting and uploading to iPhone, splitting titles from videos, cropping and then attempting to merge all videos together (currently unsuccessful)

Ideas or suggestions appreciated.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 7:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 1:29 AM

I've not uploaded anything to Instagram, so not too knowledgeable about it.

Your vertical video exported out of iMovie will have black bars on each side. I don't know if this would solve your issue, but you might try exporting the video without the black bars, or removing the black bars, and then uploading the resulting video to Instagram.

There are three ways to export without black bars a 9:16 vertical clip from iMovie for Mac.

1. You can rotate the 9:16 clip sideways with the rotation controls in the Crop feature. Export it sideways to your desktop. Open it in QuickTimePlayer. Rotate it right side up (Edit/Rotate). There will be no black bars.

2.You can go to the projects browser screen (where your projects are displayed as icons) and do a File/New App Preview. That will open a screen that looks like the normal project screen, except that it will have fewer features. Import a vertical 9:16 clip into the timeline. When you export the New App Preview (an option in the file export box) the vertical clip will export without the black bars.

3.Another way is to export a normal project with a vertical clip that has the black bars on each size Then play the video on the desktop. Use the Command-Shift-5 feature to drag select around the video to create a screen recording that eliminates the black bars.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2023 1:29 AM in response to BjornstadFægir4744

I've not uploaded anything to Instagram, so not too knowledgeable about it.

Your vertical video exported out of iMovie will have black bars on each side. I don't know if this would solve your issue, but you might try exporting the video without the black bars, or removing the black bars, and then uploading the resulting video to Instagram.

There are three ways to export without black bars a 9:16 vertical clip from iMovie for Mac.

1. You can rotate the 9:16 clip sideways with the rotation controls in the Crop feature. Export it sideways to your desktop. Open it in QuickTimePlayer. Rotate it right side up (Edit/Rotate). There will be no black bars.

2.You can go to the projects browser screen (where your projects are displayed as icons) and do a File/New App Preview. That will open a screen that looks like the normal project screen, except that it will have fewer features. Import a vertical 9:16 clip into the timeline. When you export the New App Preview (an option in the file export box) the vertical clip will export without the black bars.

3.Another way is to export a normal project with a vertical clip that has the black bars on each size Then play the video on the desktop. Use the Command-Shift-5 feature to drag select around the video to create a screen recording that eliminates the black bars.

-- Rich

iMovie to Instagram Issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.