You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Accessory and Re-add to HomeKit

I removed my Wemo doorbell from HomeKit expecting to be able to re-add it. When I try to add it again using NFC, my phone tells me that it already exists. I removed it successfully so why does it not let me re-add it???

I'm stuck.

Previous to removing it I had just upgraded to the "new underlying architecture." Seem like maybe there are still some bugs in it.

How do I get it removed (for real) so I can re-add it?

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 12:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 6:15 PM

You might need to reset HomeKit by removing Home in Home Settings (the three dots at the top in the Home tab) and setting it all up again. Before you attempt that cumbersome task, you might try the below instead.

• Your Name- iCloud - under the few listed apps using iCloud tap on Show All - select Home and toggle it off. Open the Home App and it will tell you to sign back into iCloud to put everything back. See if it’s allowing you to add it after you do that
  • There isn’t really a place in the Home App to sign out, so you might try signing out in settings in the device you’re using the Home App on. In Settings - Your Name - scroll to the bottom to Sign Out. Restart the device, then sign back in. Then try adding it again.

This happens occasionally prior to the home architecture upgrade.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 10, 2023 6:15 PM in response to PickleDisc

You might need to reset HomeKit by removing Home in Home Settings (the three dots at the top in the Home tab) and setting it all up again. Before you attempt that cumbersome task, you might try the below instead.

• Your Name- iCloud - under the few listed apps using iCloud tap on Show All - select Home and toggle it off. Open the Home App and it will tell you to sign back into iCloud to put everything back. See if it’s allowing you to add it after you do that
  • There isn’t really a place in the Home App to sign out, so you might try signing out in settings in the device you’re using the Home App on. In Settings - Your Name - scroll to the bottom to Sign Out. Restart the device, then sign back in. Then try adding it again.

This happens occasionally prior to the home architecture upgrade.

Jul 11, 2023 11:31 AM in response to PickleDisc

“I tried to sign out of my device, like you suggested, but my sign out is grayed out with a message below it saying "Sign out is not available due to restrictions." Any idea what this is about? “

• Do you have Screen Time turned on?

“I couldn't find a way to remove it from my apple TV. None of that worked”.

• To sign out of Homekit on Apple TV:

in settings - users & accounts- iCloud - sign out & Restart. Sign back in then enable AIrPlay & Homekit again

Jul 11, 2023 9:57 AM in response to Vancouver22

Thanks,

I had already tried removing the home in Home Settings. This Wemo doorbell is the only HomeKit device I have. (I gave up on HomeKit a two years ago because my devices kept dropping and having to be re-added) I bought the dorbell/cam assuming it would be supported with the Wemo app, but was disappointed to see it was a HomeKit device. It worked for a while and then dropped. The first time I was able to re-set it, but this time I could not.

I even removed the Home from my wife's phone and an iPad thinking that they were keeping it in iCloud. I couldn't find a way to remove it from my apple TV. None of that worked.

I had already tried your other suggestion (toggling off Home under the ICloud settings). Did it again, just for kicks, with no luck.

I tried to sign out of my device, like you suggested, but my sign out is grayed out with a message below it saying "Sign out is not available due to restrictions." Any idea what this is about? I'm running iOS 16.5.1 on an iPhone SE.

I'm sure Apple hoped to improve things with this new architecture upgrade, but it still looks like a rats' nest to me.

Remove Accessory and Re-add to HomeKit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.