You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pinyin problem

What happened that I can no longer type pinyin third tone mark (looks like small “v” over letter) on my ipad? Neither using Option key nor pressing the letter.

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 8:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 2:19 AM

rkornfein wrote:

I am still faces with the same problem.

As posted earlier, this should fix things:

Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge for English. You will see a list of keyboard mappings. Make sure that ABC Extended is the one which is checked. After doing that, Option V will give the the third tone on the next letter you type. ǎěǐǒǔ

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2023 2:19 AM in response to rkornfein

rkornfein wrote:

I am still faces with the same problem.

As posted earlier, this should fix things:

Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge for English. You will see a list of keyboard mappings. Make sure that ABC Extended is the one which is checked. After doing that, Option V will give the the third tone on the next letter you type. ǎěǐǒǔ

Jul 12, 2023 3:12 PM in response to rkornfein

Hi rkornfein,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. From what we gather in regards to pinyin tons marks, this may be accomplished using the Chinese or Simple Chinese keyboard on your iPad. You can add or change your iPad keyboard using the following from Add or change keyboards on iPad - Apple Support. If you used this keyboard previously, perhaps it was accidentally removed.

Add or remove a keyboard for another language
1. Go to Settings  > General > Keyboard.
2. Tap Keyboards, then do any of the following:
Add a keyboard: Tap Add New Keyboard, then choose a keyboard from the list. Repeat to add more keyboards.
Remove a keyboard: Tap Edit, tap the Delete button next to the keyboard you want to remove, tap Delete, then tap Done.
Reorder your keyboard list: Tap Edit, drag the Reorder button next to a keyboard to a new place in the list, then tap Done.

All the best.

Jul 12, 2023 4:35 PM in response to rkornfein

Hello rkornfein,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. From what we understand, it sounds like you are no longer able to select specific characters when using your Chinese and Pinyan keyboards. If so, we'd like to recommend some steps to help troubleshoot this issue. Follow the steps below:

1.) Using the steps that were last shared with you, remove the affected keyboards from your settings. Just in case, here they are again: Add or change keyboards on iPad - Apple Support

2.) Once removed, restart your iPad to help refresh things: Restart your iPad - Apple Support

3.) Re-add the two keyboards you were using and test again.

Also, if you have any pending updates that might be available, it would be a good idea to install them. Sometimes updates do include various fixes: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Jul 12, 2023 4:20 PM in response to faith185

Thank you so much for your reply. I don’t think I was clear, however. I want to write the word in Pinyan, not type of word with letters. That is then translated into Chinese characters. For example, I want to type this: nǐ hǎo. This is the pinyin spelling of the common Chinese phrase for hello. However, my keyboard in Chinese with Pinyan turned on, or in English, holding down the letters to access the letter with various tone marks from various languages, no longer includes this particular tone marker, as seen in this example. Both the first and second words, have a small V, on top of vowels, which used to be able to be brought on holding a vowel, or on my iPad using the option, key and pressing V key. I am no longer able to type these two words with this tone marker: Nǐ hǎo. Thank you.

Jul 12, 2023 6:22 PM in response to rkornfein

rkornfein wrote:

What happened that I can no longer type pinyin third tone mark (looks like small “v” over letter) on my ipad? Neither using Option key nor pressing the letter.

Pinyin problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.