You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“This accessory requires too much power" - I’m sure it has been asked before - sorry

I have an iPadAir model A2123 (if that helps) and I bought an adapter - model A1619 - so that I could import files from a USB drive. But no matter what USB device I connect to the A1619, I always get the same message “This accessory requires too much power". The A1619 is connected to my power and the other end to my iPad.

None of the USB sticks I have have their own power supply - so is there anything I can do? The A1619 adapter wasn’t cheap!

Thanks in advance

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 4:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 5:01 AM

When using your Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter with many USB storage devices, you must also connect your Power Adapter (rated 12W - 2.4A @5V or greater) to the pass-through Lightning port of the Adapter.

Your iPad cannot source sufficient power, via its Lightning port, to power most USB storage devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2023 5:01 AM in response to Stopited

When using your Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter with many USB storage devices, you must also connect your Power Adapter (rated 12W - 2.4A @5V or greater) to the pass-through Lightning port of the Adapter.

Your iPad cannot source sufficient power, via its Lightning port, to power most USB storage devices.

“This accessory requires too much power" - I’m sure it has been asked before - sorry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.