You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Long delay for iMac to become usable after a reboot

I was wondering how typical this issue is: When rebooting after a power failure and after logging in, my iMac takes over a half hour before it becomes usable. One part of the issue certainly is that the Mac is looking to reopen the windows that were open before the power interruption, but what I experience seems to be unreasonably slow. It takes over 5 minutes for the Dock to appear, but then probably another 20 minutes before most application windows can be accessed, and even then, there's another 5 or 10 minutes before the beachballing settles down and the apps become usable. One application that does become accessible fairly early is Activity Monitor, which I thought might give me a clue about the reason for the slow progress. I thought that the delay might be due to the CPU being maxed out, but aside from a few spikes, the reported usage is only slightly above what it shows when things are idling and running normally. Is this the kind of behavior I should expect?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 8:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 1:01 PM

I STRONGLY suspect the problem is you have Intego AV installed. At best third party AV apps are 100% worthless and at worst they are damaging to Mac OS. Mac OS does not require nor benefit in ANY way by having third party:

• AV Apps
  • Cleaning Apps
  • VPN Apps
  • Security Apps
  • and other types of OS maintenance apps

installed. Mac OS runs best and will remain stable if you simply keep it up-to-date and restart the computer about 1x every 1-2 weeks.

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for Intego and please follow to the letter. Then please restart the computer in Safe Mode and then restart normally and retest the computer. It would not hurt to post a fresh EtreCheck report after doing the above to see if all of Intego has been removed from your system.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2023 1:01 PM in response to Timothy Wickland

I STRONGLY suspect the problem is you have Intego AV installed. At best third party AV apps are 100% worthless and at worst they are damaging to Mac OS. Mac OS does not require nor benefit in ANY way by having third party:

• AV Apps
  • Cleaning Apps
  • VPN Apps
  • Security Apps
  • and other types of OS maintenance apps

installed. Mac OS runs best and will remain stable if you simply keep it up-to-date and restart the computer about 1x every 1-2 weeks.

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for Intego and please follow to the letter. Then please restart the computer in Safe Mode and then restart normally and retest the computer. It would not hurt to post a fresh EtreCheck report after doing the above to see if all of Intego has been removed from your system.

Long delay for iMac to become usable after a reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.