You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase SSD or Macintosh HD?

I need to erase/factory reset an iMac (since the previous owner didn't provide the Apple ID password) so I don't know which drive or volume to erase. I've read contradictory instructions regarding this.

Will the Apple ID account be completed erased if I just wipe Macintosh HD?

I want to use the iMac as if it was brand new.

Would erasing the main SSD (at the top of hierarchy in Disk Utility) be wiser?

iMac 21 inch, 2017, Monterey, intel based.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 5:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 6:20 AM

See: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac for guidance.

3 replies

Jul 18, 2023 1:18 AM in response to AndreasBlack

If you want to erase/factory reset an iMac and ensure that the previous owner's Apple ID is completely removed, you should follow these steps:

1. Start by restarting your iMac and holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. This will boot your iMac into macOS Recovery mode.

2. In macOS Recovery, you'll see a list of utilities. Choose "Disk Utility" to open the Disk Utility application.

3. In Disk Utility, you should see a list of drives and volumes on the left-hand side. Typically, the main startup drive is named "Macintosh HD" or something similar. This is the drive you'll want to erase.

4. Select the drive (e.g., Macintosh HD) from the list of drives (not the individual volumes beneath it) and click on the "Erase" button in the Disk Utility toolbar.

5. In the Erase dialog box, choose a name for the drive (you can keep the default name) and select the appropriate format (usually "APFS" or "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"). Then, click the "Erase" button to begin the erasing process. Note that this will delete all data on the drive, so make sure you have backed up any important files.

6. Once the erasing process is complete, close Disk Utility and choose "Reinstall macOS" or "Reinstall OS X" from the macOS Utilities window. Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall the operating system on the newly erased drive.

By erasing the main SSD (Macintosh HD) using Disk Utility, you should effectively remove all data and user accounts associated with the previous owner, including their Apple ID. The reinstallation of macOS will set up the iMac as if it were brand new, allowing you to create your own user account and configure the system to your preferences.

It's worth noting that erasing the drive at the top of the hierarchy in Disk Utility (Macintosh HD) is generally sufficient to remove all personal data. However, if you want to be extra cautious, you can erase other volumes and partitions as well. Also, you can try 3rd party data erasure tool like BitRaser File Eraser that will help you securely erase data from any storage device, beyond the scope of recovery.

Remember to back up any important data before proceeding with the erase and reinstall process, as it will permanently delete all data on the selected drive.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Erase SSD or Macintosh HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.