You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch Fall Detection didn't work (all setting checked)

Why didn't my watch detect a serious fall? Afterwards, I confirmed that all settings were indeed set correctly. Luckly, I was in a Cardiac Care unit.

Apple Watch Series 7, watchOS 8

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 3:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 3:43 AM

Fall detection can't detect all falls. Sometimes you might fall in a way your Apple Watch doesn't see the movements like a sudden hard stop which indicate a fall, for example your watch-wearing arm lands gently on top of you, or it grabbed some support on the way down and landed more gently. On other occasions it might get a false positive, for example while using a hammer or chopping wood where the motion mimics a fall.

The best you can say is that the fall detection increases the probability you will get help after a fall, but it is not possible to identify every event.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2023 3:43 AM in response to Monk13

Fall detection can't detect all falls. Sometimes you might fall in a way your Apple Watch doesn't see the movements like a sudden hard stop which indicate a fall, for example your watch-wearing arm lands gently on top of you, or it grabbed some support on the way down and landed more gently. On other occasions it might get a false positive, for example while using a hammer or chopping wood where the motion mimics a fall.

The best you can say is that the fall detection increases the probability you will get help after a fall, but it is not possible to identify every event.

Watch Fall Detection didn't work (all setting checked)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.