You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple celebrates 10 years of Apple Pay. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera doesn't work in Payment & Shipping Settings

When my phone complains that I need to update my payment method for subscriptions and the like, and I follow the prompts to do so, I wind up in Payment & Shipping, where I can add payment methods but that isn't either the Wallet app nor Apple Pay. (WHY must there be THREE DIFFERENT PLACES to add payment methods to the iPhone???😖😖😖)

Anyway: when I tap the camera button to try to add a card using the camera in this mysterious third card-adding place, the camera frame is always entirely black, as if the camera is turned off altogether (and yet the camera works fine under all other circumstances). Anybody know why this is and how I fix it?

Thanks in advance...

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 9:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 3:15 AM

If the camera isn’t working, you can try updating your IOS and doing a forced restart (follow support article instruction).

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

If the camera still isn’t working, you can backup your iphone to iCloud and reinstall the iOS and reset to factory settings. Not sure you want to go that far.

You should be able to manually enter the numbers as well. When the camera pops up, do you see a link to manually enter the card information?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 17, 2023 3:15 AM in response to nikkormac

If the camera isn’t working, you can try updating your IOS and doing a forced restart (follow support article instruction).

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

If the camera still isn’t working, you can backup your iphone to iCloud and reinstall the iOS and reset to factory settings. Not sure you want to go that far.

You should be able to manually enter the numbers as well. When the camera pops up, do you see a link to manually enter the card information?

Jul 17, 2023 5:00 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Thank you very much, Jeff – installing the recently released security response software and restarting the phone did indeed take care of the problem. I have my phone set to automatically install new iOS updates, but it never does, and I forget this, so I sometimes go weeks unaware that there's a new iOS update waiting to be installed. I guess I need to set calendar reminders so that I'll check for updates periodically.

Thanks again. Great to have at least one issue resolved.

Camera doesn't work in Payment & Shipping Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.