You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locations of a search

My computer has me living on the other side of the state. When I ask for something near me, it taks to to locations 150-200 miles from me. Never lived there or near there. How do I ge my MackBook to show me locations actually i my neighborhood?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 2:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 2:50 PM

The problem could be your internet connection. The IP address provided to you by your internet service provider is registered to them and may show as their address. You can try unplugging your router for a few minutes and plugging it back in.

Also, if you're using any kind of VPN, that can cause this sort of problem. Unless you're using the VPN to access a secure server for your work (as an example), it's not really doing you any good.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 17, 2023 2:50 PM in response to challenged_me

The problem could be your internet connection. The IP address provided to you by your internet service provider is registered to them and may show as their address. You can try unplugging your router for a few minutes and plugging it back in.

Also, if you're using any kind of VPN, that can cause this sort of problem. Unless you're using the VPN to access a secure server for your work (as an example), it's not really doing you any good.

Jul 18, 2023 11:42 AM in response to challenged_me

Again, have you always had the same internet provider? And yes, this is not uncommon. The Mac has no built-in GPS and gets its locations entirely from the WiFi network.

Do you have a cell phone with a mobile hotspot feature? If so, what happens when you try to use that? Note that I am not suggesting that you switch to your phone as your source of internet permanently. It's just for testing purposes.

Jul 17, 2023 2:49 PM in response to challenged_me

challenged_me Said:

"Locations of a search: My computer has me living on the other side of the state. When I ask for something near me, it taks to to locations 150-200 miles from me. Never lived there or near there. How do I ge my MackBook to show me locations actually i my neighborhood? location of this device is incorrect for finding locations near me."

-------

Troubleshooting Location Services:

This is all Based on an IP Address. So, try the following...

A. Disable a VPN:

Are you using a VPN? If so, disable it, and the restart your Mac.

B. Third Party Sites:

See if the location is accurate at these sites:

Locations of a search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.