You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restart required prompt - how to stop

I keep on getting a "Restart Required" pop-up from Norton. I don't have Norton installed - the pop-pup, I suspect, is bogus. But how do I stop this? I am using MacOS Monterey 12.6.7 on an IMAC

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 8:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 1:05 PM

As per your EtreCheck report, there are several examples of Symantec/Norton installed and running on your Mac.

Simply moving the Norton Application Icon to the Trash does not remove all traces of Norton from your system.

You need to follow thru and use the RemoveNortonMacFiles.zip to completely remove it.

13 replies

Jul 19, 2023 10:07 AM in response to fherman

Please run the free version of Malwarebytes and then restart the computer in Safe Mode and then restart normally and test the computer. IF the problem persists then please do the following:

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211 It is helpful to us if you download the report to your Desktop.

Jul 19, 2023 10:05 AM in response to den.thed

The pop-up appears on the lower right corner of the desktop. In the pop-up the top left corner says "Restart Required" and then there is body text which says Norton has done some sort of update, a restart is required. Then in the lower right of the pop-up there is a "Restart Now" to click on. I don't have the pop-up at this moment. When in shows up again I'll upload an image. In the meantime I hope this description might help narrow this down.

Jul 19, 2023 1:01 PM in response to fherman

Norton is definitely installed on the computer, do you have an external HD or SSD connected??? Please locate the Norton uninstall instructions and uninstall it. After it has been uninstalled then you will need to restart in Safe Mode and restart normally after the Safe Mode restart. The next step is to run another EtreCheck report and look through it carefully to see if there is ANY evidence the words Norton or Symantec in the report. If there are then you need to download the FindAnyFile app and have it search your complete system for the words "Norton" and "Symantec" have it move those items to the TRASH and empty the TRASH.

Then run another EtreCheck report and verify that all evidence of Norton and Symantec are gone.

Finally, do not allow anyone to use your computer and safeguard it from others doing downloads. Either. you or some other user installed Norton and have created a mess for you to clean up. Apps don't magically appear on a system unless someone that has access to the computer has downloaded them.

Jul 19, 2023 1:59 PM in response to den.thed

I'm really glad I did the follow up (safe-mode restart and rerun EtreCheck). It confirmed the norton symantec files have been removed.

You have been so helpful. I'm pretty savvy with computers but I never would have figured this out on my own. I really appreciate your help. And of course, I've learned something new - always a good thing.

Many, many thanks.

Restart required prompt - how to stop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.