You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Mirroring to AppleTV cuts the MacBook Audio (but the Video's Fine)

When I Mirror from MacBook Pro to AppleTV box, I want the video and audio to play on BOTH devices.

Currently, I get both audio & video on the appleTV from the MacBook Pro.

But I get no audio on the MacBook Pro, until I stop the mirroring.

Is this normal? Is there a setting I can change? (99% of the results I got when I googled for "why appletv has no sound")

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 8:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 7:31 AM

I think you could accomplish that by setting up a multi-output device.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select your mac's internal speakers AND your Apple TV. (Apple TV is not on my list because I don't use it)

then when you need to hear both, choose "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar sound options.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2023 7:31 AM in response to Doc Crumble

I think you could accomplish that by setting up a multi-output device.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select your mac's internal speakers AND your Apple TV. (Apple TV is not on my list because I don't use it)

then when you need to hear both, choose "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar sound options.

Screen Mirroring to AppleTV cuts the MacBook Audio (but the Video's Fine)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.